Friday, December 12, 2008

Knitting Friday

What a depressing knitting week. But I did learn some things about myself.

First, I spent the week pulling out lace shawls.

Elann has a new one:

http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=308024

It’s lace but it’s easy lace. That is, if you’re not knitting, reading a blog and watching a movie on the computer at the same time. (The movie was The Southerner with Zachary Scott and directed by Jean Renoir. I blame the move for my problems because it was one you had to watch, unlike my usual fare like the spooky Fog Island.)

In spite of these extra activities, which are no-nos for lace knitting, I was moving right along until Row 29 when I slipped a stitch. (The irony being that just after Row 29 the pattern begins repeating and finally becomes a simple four row lace pattern.)

Now, anyone who knits lace knows that if you don’t use lifelines you deserve all your troubles. Guess who didn’t use a lifeline? I was able to pick up the stitch immediately, but lace is yarn overs and I must have missed at least one, so by the end of the row, I was off count. I did try to find the problem but it was useless and the frog pond got another visitor.

Next, I started a shawl from Shawls On the Go!, Volume 2. It’s the one where you yarn over twice for each stitch and then do four K and P 2 together on every four stitches for an easy and attractive crossover stitch shawl.

I started so successfully. It was boring with wrapping the yarn twice around for each stitch but the “look” of the shawl came fast. Then, I put it down, went to work, and returned and started again with the wrong stitch. Somehow, I got to the end of the row and I had two extra stitches. I knew the pull-out was not going to be easy on this one. So, rip-it, rip-it.

Finally, I made up my own variation on the *yo, k2tog* shawl. I only had 300 yards of double knitting weight (I consider this weight one up from sports, if that helps) so I started at a point and increased each side every other row until the first ball of yarn was used. Then I decreased each side every other row for the second ball.

That’s when I looked at the project. I was connecting two Vs. What a great shape to wear. A point at your waist and a point at your neck. Move over, Marc Jacobs. Plus, 300 yards knitted this way, even on US 13 needles, was giving me a big, weirdly-shaped scarf and not enough width for shawl warmth. Another trip to the frog pond.

So, you ask, what did you learn this week in knitting? I think I learned that except for special projects or gifts, I like fast knitting. I’ve made the beautiful lace shawl, the complicated Aran style sweaters and afghans, the entrelac sweaters, etc. Give me the simple knitting. Life really is too short.

And now for a simple pattern which I learned this week is a good answer to: "What can I make when I have no idea how much yarn this is?" (I’ll discuss postal scales another time - I love mine.)

The "I Don’t Know My Yardage" Shawl

Find a triangular shawl pattern which gives you the stitch number (for example: pattern is 4 sts + 2 for selvage.) Preferably a yarn over pattern and not a twisted stitch one - unless your unknown yardage looks like a lot.

Start the pattern as instructed but when you get to your desired width (I like 20"), start working straight. Right now, you will have one end done as a V and the shawl will knitting up as a rectangle. Continue on to your desired length.

For the ending, if you have enough yarn left at your length, reverse your pattern to decrease to another V. Or, just bind off straight. Your ends will be different, but so what? If you have a bit of yarn left over, work crochet loops on the straight end or put a tassel (or a big button) on the V end.

I’m making one now in the simple *yo, K2tog* pattern on large needles. I don’t know yet whether the second end will be straight or a V.

I’ll let you know.

No comments: