Friday, February 6, 2009

Knitting Friday

In case you remembered my projects from last week, well, they are no more. The Berroco pullover:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/rectangela/rectangela.html

which I was going to knit from the bottom of the yoke up was a disaster. I think it can be done but I’ll have to swatch first and the question is: When did I ever swatch? (Knitters, around the world, are booing.)

The brown shrug was frogged at the Superbowl party. The body of double moss was fine but the K2, P2 ribbing looked homemade (as opposed to handmade) so back to the frog pond with it.However, I am using the brown yarn. I cast on 110 stitches, joined them and started in double moss for a bottom up pullover, knitted in the round. This should work.

Here’s a very simple pattern for a multidirectional rectangular shawl.

Honeycomb reversible shawl
Equipment: US15 needles; double knitting weight yarn (Paton variegated wool, 2 skeins 400+ yards.); row counter
Size: I’m shooting for 25" x 65+”.
Skills level: Easy; except for very end (see final note)
Finished look: honeycombed, light and open; reversible
Some preliminary notes:
1.
This pattern has not been fully-tested. However, I am now working on the second section and I’ve found that if you have no problems with the increasing and decreasing in this section (and you see them fast) you’ll be ok for the rest of the pattern.
2. Notice that the increases and decreases equal EOR but are done in two consecutive rows out of a four-row pattern. It works.
3. In the second section, the decrease is done at the end of Row 3 and the beginning of Row 4.
4. Although this pattern is reversible, mark Row 1 side as RS for reference.
5. I'm always afraid when I only have 2 skeins that I won't have enough yarn to finish. With more yarn, I would have used smaller needles - perhaps US10.5
6. For the first section, I did 60 rows to get to 25" in width.
Pattern: composed of three sections
First section: CO 2 sts. Set-up row: Kfb, Kfb (4 sts)
Row 1and 2: K1 *K2tog, YO*, end K1Kfb *K1
Row 3 & 4: Kfb *K* end Kfb
Continue Rows 1- 4 to your desired width. (Measure the bottom of the right angle from the right side of your knitting.)
End after Row 4.
Second Section:
Row 1 and Row 2: K1 *K2tog, YO*, end K1
Row 3: Kfb *K* end K2tog
Row 4: K2tog *K* end Kfb
Continue Rows 1- 4 to your desired length, (rule of thumb is the length should be at least your height). End after Row 4.
Third Section:
Row 1 and Row 2: K1 *K2tog, YO*, end K1
Row 3 & 4: K2tog, *K* K2tog.
Decrease to 2 or 3 stitches. Just knit them together and pull through yarn.

Final Note: Multidirectional shawls have a reputation for looking wonky at the second edge (third section.) That is, you get a slanted not straight edge here. When you get to around 20 stitches on your needle, look at how the edge is going. If it’s slanting you can make more than two decreases on Rows 3 and 4. Ex: (K2tog 2xs) *K* (K2tog 2xs). Or add some K2togs across the row. It works and will eliminate or lessen any slanting.

Some thoughts on variegated yarn:
I love it. It’s like a box of your favorite chocolates or a large bag of crispy, slightly salted potato chips - you love them, you buy them, you eat them all (sometimes in one sitting) and then.....

It’s the same with variegated yarn. I buy it whenever I see it on sale. I check out all sorts of patterns. I find one that will show off its shadings and then I start. What disappointment! It’s like after eating those forbidden treats; you feel so fat and unhappy. At least, I don't eat the yarn but I do feel unhappy since I never get the results with variegated that I want.

However, this is the first shawl made in variegated yarn in a modified garter stitch that I really like. Give it a try.

Enjoy your knitting.

No comments: