Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Website Wednesday

If you stay in a conservative thinking mode (and I don’t mean in the political sense) all your life, your soul (and I definitely don’t mean in a religious sense) will never fly but it will become as Millay says:

And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
Will cave in on him by and by.

So in order to visit all those wonderful places which Dr. Seuss told us about, sometimes you just have to think out of the box.

I guess I did that a little this Monday when I took a second look at the link I had posted for movie statistics:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/moviedata.html

and saw “waynesthisandthat embedded within. Hmm, I thought, that sounds worth exploring. It was a easy delete to my website pick for today:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/

Now I figure I spend about 6 hours a week getting 3 posts a week done. Maybe I’m slow; maybe I can’t spell for beans. (Now there’s an idiom which should be explored.)
However, whenever I see the information some other people post on their websites, I am in awe.

Where to being in describing “This and That?”

First, let Wayne Schmidt tell you: Wayne Schmidt's multi-topic site covering everything from kaleidoscopes to electric rocket engines (This site is viewed best in Internet Explorer.) And Site Statistics: 350 pages, 1,700 images and 1,000,000 words covering over 100 subjects. Wow! A million words. I don’t even know that many!

While Wayne has a disclaimer that: I am not an expert in any of these subjects, he holds Master’s degrees in mechanical engineering and plasma physics so I think he’s being modest.

I’ll list most of the main topics he covers: Antiques, Astronomy, Chocolate, Gardening, Hobbies (very eclectic), Kaleidoscopes, Music, Movies, Pinball arcade games, Photography, Science, Sports, Weaving, ........ Does the man ever sleep?

Some interesting subtopics are:
Victorian Domestic Servant Hierarchy and Wages
;
What Restaurants Show You Is Not What You Get;
How Super Glue Works;
Experiments with Close-up Lenses and Extension Tubes
:
Cheap Kaleidoscope Dissection Report:
Chocolate Doctoring: and
Bookbinding 101.

You’ll also find though some topics have been updated recently there are some links which take you to computer language pages (you’ll see what I mean) which need fixing.

This is a great site for entertaining and interesting facts complied by a man with an enormous diversity of interests. Go visit This and That.

Final note: All the sites I present on Website Wednesday are sites that I have found interesting and hope that others will also. Of course, you must use your discretion in deciding the validity of the information presented at these sites. (As we all have to do wherever we get our information.) Additionally, these sites are intended only for adults. They may be perfectly safe for children [depending on your definition of “perfectly safe.”] but they are not vetted for that.

No comments: