Friday, May 15, 2009

Knitting Friday: the finished jerkin or why I love knitting shawls

First, this was another traveling day for me so everything is getting posted late. I did make a trip to A.C. Moore in Paramus, NJ today. I am on the everlasting quest for black fine yarn. Two weeks ago, this A. C. Moore had a Bernat fine cotton blend in black at 900 + yards for $6.99. But I only had a 25% off coupon (you know the special kind where your entire purchase is off 25% rather than just one item for 40% to 50% off) and I was cheap. So I didn’t buy it and the next wee
k when I had a 40% off coupon there was no black cotton and today, when I had a 50% off coupon there was none either. The folly of cheapness.

However, I do think that the imminent arrival of the new Michael’s yarn department has caused A.C. Moore to add a better quality to their yarn. Last week, they had Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool in brown. You can’t get that color even from Lion Brand in their Internet store. Today, I found black fingering yarn for socks (Red Heart Heart & Sole.) I’m not wild about Red Heart but the weight is good, it’s 213 yards, and it’s 70% wool and 30% nylon. I think that’s the best I’m
going to get (especially for ½ of $3.99 a skein) unless I spend the big bucks. So I bought it and now I have to figure out the right needles. I can use a N crochet hook with lace weight yarn for a lovely light lace but I think I’m going to have to work with large needles here in order to achieve that look. More on this yarn later; on to the Tess shawl metamorphosis.

As you know, the Tess shawl which was cruelly frogged seconds before completion has been reborn as the vest pictured her
e. Every time I knit a garment, I grind my teeth and silently mutter: Don’t I ever learn? Garments always have the dreaded finishings; even mine which are knitted in the round bottom up or others that increase down from a neck cast on. This vest could have been developed into a pullover but I was so bored that it was OK that I will resemble a medieval peasant when I wear it; perhaps that's apropos in this economic climate. I did learn some things:

1. The vest is too big. I cast on 132 stitches for the body (multiple of 11.) I could have cast on 111 stitches which is a decrease of two pattern repeats and it still would have fit. The
garter ripple does give you a stretchy width. I don't swatch, but everyone should.
2. Unlike the pattern, I decreased at the armholes. No problems with this but when you start to work separately for the front and back, put markers between the k2tog and the ssk stitches. It will make your life so much easier.
2. The bottom does flare as my picture and the Elann pattern picture show. I have close to 38" at the hem and 36" in the body. I might use smaller needles for the bottom garter ripple next time. Next time??
3. You can knit this garment in the round (unlike the original pattern) with the pattern row in knit in the round and purl when you have to knit flat. Just be sure to reverse the order of your stitches but:
4. When you start to knit flat, a ssp will not achieve the look of the pattern’s ssk, here’s what you have to do:
a: At the first stitch of the ssp, where the wrong side is facing you, turn your work so the right side is facing.
b. Move the first stitch which you will be using for the ssk/ssp from the right needle to the left needle and knit it. (It’s back on the right needle, now.)
c. Slip the second stitch on the right needle over it and off the needle.
d. Slip the knitted stitch back to the left needle; that stitch is finished.
e. Turn your work back to the wrong side and start the next stitch of the pattern.
f. This way you will get the same diagonal slant as the ssk you made when knitting this stitch in the round.

A final note: Elann has the skill level on this pattern at Advanced Beginner. I think my tweaking the pattern makes it an Intermediate skill level. But it is a very easy knit. Obviously, from the Elann picture this is summer wear but it works in other weights.

The
Triangle Crochet Shawl made into a Rectangle:
Abbreviations:
dec: double crochet;
sc: single crochet; sl st: slip stitch; sp: space; ch: chain; dec: decrease; T: turn; ssp or ssk: sl 1 st, knit 1 st, pass sl st over knit st and off needle.
Basic Triangle Crochet Shawl:
Row 1: Ch 4 join, ch3 & 3dc in ring. Ch 4 T
Row 2: 3 dec in 3rd ch from hook; sl st ch1-sp of Row 1, ch3, 3 dc in same space (2 blocks made) Ch4, T (Put marker at beginning of this row)
Row 3: 3 dc in 3rd ch from hook, sl st in ch-3 sp of 1st block chain-3; 3 dc in same sp *sl st in next ch 3-sp & ch, 3 dc in same space* across, end ch 4, T. Rep Row 3 for triangle, to length and for a rectangle to width.
THE CHANGE: To dec on one edge at width for rectangular shawl: When you reach the edge opposite the marked edge, in the last ch3-sp, make 1 sc and T. Sl st in 1st ch3-sp and work ch 3, 3 dcs in this space. Work across with a *sl st, ch 3, 3 dc* in each ch3-sp. When you get to the marked edge, work as usual as above with an inc. (Marked side will inc and unmarked side will dec to keep your width even.) At the desired length, make both sides the dec side until you dec to 1 ch3-sp. The End. It's that simple. You can crochet an edging around the shawl if you wish.

Happy knitting.



No comments: