Friday, June 12, 2009

Knitting Friday

A short posting today since I have two rows left on my second Alix shawl. I have to get hopping and finish it. And then I have to go and buy invisible thread to tack down the yarn ends.

I am loving the Alix shawl. Here's the website again:

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=nnp&pageID=195

But don't use the written instructions. Click on the bottom for the chart. Even if you don't like reading charts or have never done so; do so now. This is a great introduction to chart reading. Just remember each row begins and ends with a 4-seed stitch border which isn't shown.

On both shawls I've worked only one extra row of inverted "Vs" for a 57" x 27" triangular shawl on the first one - which is a nice size in cotton for a cool summer evening. (And, if this rain doesn't stop, for a cool summer day.)

I've used US 10 needles on both double knit and sport weight yarn. Oh, watch out for the first couple of rows once you start your pattern. That's where I made my mistakes. Once you get past Row 3, things get easier. Just be sure you put in all yarn overs since it'll be two rows before you find your mistake. But they do follow an easily memorized pattern.

I really got messed up at the border where I was frogging (or is it tinking?) continuously until I figured it out. Here's what I did finally:

1. Row 1, eyelet row: Just follow the directions. If you have the correct stitch count you will end your *yo, K2tog* one stitch before the center stitch (CS)and after you follow the directions for the center, you 'll continue your *yo, K2tog* and finish the row ready to work the 4 ending border stitches. This part is simple.

2. Row 2: Just the borders and *P* row. Again, simplicity itself.

3. Row 3, 5, & 7: Ah, the dreaded rows 3, 5 and 7 - all the same; all pulled out quite often until: First, remember the center stitch is always stockinette (K on RS, P on WS). Then:
a. Starting at the border stitches, work in seed stitch to 1 stitch before the CS.
b. Increase in the stitch before the CS so that it stays in seed stitch. So, if two stitches before the CS is purl, increase in the next stitch by knitting then purling into it. If two stitches before the CS is knit, then increase the next stitch by purling then knitting into it. (Note: whatever the increase was - K or P - I did it in the back of the stitch so I wouldn't have a hole.)
c. Knit the center stitch. Always knit the center stitch on the right side. Do not worry that it is not in the seed stitch pattern.
d. Then go to the end of the row and count back from there to the first stitch after the CS to see whether that stitch should have a knit or purl increase in order to keep in the pattern consistent with the ending border seed stitches.
e. For example: If the stitch following the CS should be knit then increase in this stitch as purl then knit in the stitch. If the stitch following the CS should be purl, then increase in this stitch as knit then purl in the stitch.

4. Rows 4 & 6: Work in seed with the CS purled to keep it in stockinette.


This may seem like overkill in instructions but I wish someone had explained it to me. I wasted a lot of time figuring out a "half-hitch" and trying to keep the CS in the seed pattern. I even looked minutely at all 126 shawls on Ravelry trying to see how they did the ending border.

That's it for now. Next week, I'll put up the pictures of the two shawls.

Future projects: I want to make this shawl longer in garter. Garter didn't work in variegated yarn but I'm hoping it does in plain yarn. I want to put a crochet picot border across the top and fold the top for a collar effect. And, I have got to make a summer shrug.

Happy knitting.

No comments: