Monday, July 26, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Movie Monday

Well, it's been some time since I last posted (What a stupid, obvious statement, but, I, and so many other bloggers must love it since it's used so often.)

This is unbelievably the first day in a month when the temp did not hit the 90s by 8 am. This is also the first day in a month that the kids are in camp.

Happy day for me and for them in that the temp is bearable.

Some day I want to watch The Road, that bleak post apocalyptic drama where civilization has ended and mankind is following. Apparently, it makes slight mention of how the world got in such a bad way. Global warning? Did it start with very hot summers and very cold winters? I wonder.......

I saw most of 2012. What a crock! Woody Harrelson really has the crazed, but factually correct guy down pat. You know, the guy who knows the world is headed for destruction, knows the government(s) is engaged in a huge cover-up, and, wait for it - has "the map" to help the hero get to safety. Of course you know that he, as the crazy but factually accurate loon, is not going to make it to the credit roll.

John Cusack was the hero of this movie. He's the modern divorced dad which directors love to use as heroes these days. I was a little disappointed that he wound up back with his wife in the end. I really thought her present main squeeze was likable (hell, her kids really liked him) but probably the director was afraid to introduce the polygamy angle since the survivors are looking forward to starting up a new Eden - and you know how that turned out.

We also saw the original Planet of the Apes with the kids. They were mesmerized. I had forgotten what an iconic film it was. I had forgotten the religion vs. science angle also. Who would have thought that almost 50 years later, after all the advances in science, this movie could have elements right out of today's headlines?

I'm also watching another Harrelson movie, Zombieland but I have a visceral dislike of the two sisters who are main characters and it's ruining the movie for me. I just don't like them and I can't get past them to review the movie. I had the misfortune of flipping it on twice when they played a prominent role: when they capture the zombie hunters and when they pretend the little sister has been zombie bitten.

It's like when I watched Jackson's The Frighteners. I cringed every time the FBI agent appeared. I hated how this character was played. It ruined those scenes for me.

I guess the visceral attraction or aversion to movies is pretty important. Once you get beyond all the film school criticism, that's really what keeps you in your seat or sends you running from the theater. I think I'll try Zombieland one more time.

I can recommend Adventureland with Kristen Stewart. She really is a good indie actress. Everyone was good in this movie. Everyone seemed real. I bought into the highs and lows of everyone's angst. It was surprising that both hero and heroine as college graduates were working in the bittersweet dump of Adventureland but it's all explained realistically. This is worth the watch.

Finally, a Miss M. update, which concerns movies. But first, apologies for no pictures. I'm at the wrong computer for pictures today.

Miss M. went to see Toy Story 3 (not a dry eye among the moms at the end.) It's part of her service dog training. She was pretty nervous due to all the kids and the noise. She promptly fell asleep. Should I take this as a review?

Enjoy your week. Hope your weather is bearable.




No comments: