Friday, February 17, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

I'm really into hats. Right now, I'm finishing a black winter hat, because, we all know, that black goes with everything.

Here are pictures of recent hats, and a peek of my ugly toes. They are all top down, starting with a crocheted circle. All except the green one on the right increase to 64 stitches. That green one is only 48 stitches, which in a K2, P2 rib works fine. The black one I'm finishing now has 72 stitches because it's a twisted K2 so the ribbing is tighter.

All the brims are in seed or moss (K1, P1 or K2, P2) on needles two sizes smaller than what's used on the rib section (US 8 to US 6.) Most of the tops have that spiral "pom-pom"; some worked on 20 chains, some on 10.

My b-day present came yesterday; 14 pairs of DPNs with 5 needles in each size. While the bamboo is not the quality of the Clover bamboo (it's a step up from chop sticks), I've used the size 6 to work the seed stitch on my black hat. It worked very well until I decided to try the hat on (the beautiful of top down knitting) and I had to switch to circs.

OK, let me post the pattern for these hats again. As I said last week, you can use any pattern for the body of the hat so it's a good pattern for thinking out of the box.

A Simple Hat (edited from last week with more explanations)
Materials: US 6 and US 8 needles circular needles, US 8 wood DPNs (5), I crochet hook, DK weight yarn
Crochet Set-Up:
With the I crochet hook, make a loop, chain 1 and work 4 single crochets (sc) into the loop. Join with a slip stitch, ch 1 and then work 2 sc in each of the 4 sc for a total of 8. Join with a slip stitch.
(You can now start working with DPNs or you can repeat the above and work 2 sc in each of the 8 sc for a total of 16 sc.)
So either with 8 or 16 sc, pick up 1 stitch for each sc around with your DPNs and divide evenly on 4 needles. Start Knitting Set-Up:
Row 1: K or P* around (16 sts)
Row 2: K front and back of every stitch (32 sts.)
Row 3: K or P around (32 sts.)
Row 4: K front and back of every stitch (64 sts)
Row 5: K or P around (64 sts)
*Purling these rows create a garter rather than a stockinette look. Your choice.
You can see the pattern - 1 row straight K or P; 1 row increases in every stitch
(I stop at 64 sts but you can keep increasing. You don't have to increase in every stitch [the next such increase in every stitch will give you 128 sts] but you can decide how many stitches you need for the width, divide them by 4 and increase evenly on each DPN.)
Start Pattern: (Note 1: Your last row should have been K or P evenly around, no increases. Note 2: You make want to switch to circular needles now and use the traveling loop - just google the "How To". I am going to give you the pattern I like to use but the sky's the limit with creativity here.)
Row 1: *K into back loop of 2nd stitch on left circular tip, K into the front loop of the 1st stitch on that tip, P2*
Row 2: *K2, P2*
Repeat these two rows till the brim.
Brim: Change to US 6 needles and work the seed stitch or moss stitch for your desired width. BO loosely but not very loosely.
Tassel:
1. With I or larger hook and leaving a long tail, chain 20. (Note: Not enough yarn left? Chain 10.)
2. Starting in the 2nd ch from hook work 3 sc in each chain to the bottom.
3. At the bottom, ch 2o and repeat the process above. (The chains will curl into spirals.)
4. Make about 3 spirals and then slip stitch them together at the base, cut yarn leaving a long tail.
5. Using the tails, work the spirals through the top of the hat and fasten securely.

Next week: I just had another knitting epiphany, the first being seeing a pattern for a top down pullover which was not done in raglan (you just K front and back in every stitch once you finish the neckband to double the stitch count.) My present epiphany was seeing a pullover knitted in lace weight. I was naive enough to think lace was only for accessories, like shawls. That may be my next project. More next Friday.

Happy knitting.





No comments: