Friday, February 24, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

A short post today because I may be back at the DDS or just nursing my poor teeth until I get there on Monday.

I'm starting a KAL (Knit Along) or rather more a LAL (Look Along) for a while.

At right, is a sleeveless pullover I made for my mom when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I remember nothing about it except it's yellow wool and obviously I followed a pattern because it has an overlay of crisscrosses which are knitted as you go along.

Mom gave the sweater back to me a while ago and what you see in the picture is a right side sleeve opening where the original ribbing (which matched the hem, I'm sure) had been pulled out and replaced with a crocheted crab stitch. (The left armhole is different because I pulled out the crab stitch before I realized I was going to do this KAL and needed to take photos.) The neckband probably originally matched the hem but that also was replaced with the crab stitch.

So looking at this picture, it looks like that at some time after the sweater "walked" back to me I decided to salvage it. Obviously, I didn't replace the ugly hem because that would have taken some major work, perhaps cutting.

Well about a week ago, I decided to frog the whole thing and see if I could recycle it into a top I might wear. (No way was I wearing the beauty pictured above.)

What you see in the left picture is the sweater unraveled and separated into skeins. You can see that it's very crinkly; not good for much except the ever helpful trinity stitch.

I put the skeins in cold water and Tresemme hair conditioner. I use Tresemme for soaking all my shawls before blocking. (I happen to have a lot of it.) This time, I soaked the wool for about an hour; supposedly longer is better.

This final picture shows the wool after it dried and you can see that it unkinked somewhat.

That's it for today. Next week, I hope to start the new sweater and I'll post the pattern as I work it.

Back to teeth sitting. Happy knitting.


No comments: