Friday, March 23, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

Crazy mid-week! I had my usual tri-monthly (Does that mean 3xs a month? Hope so.) dental visit. I apparently missed the memo because he was not putting in my crown; he was to take impressions for my crown. A lengthier-type visit but not terribly onerous. But........wait for it........he must have used a new composite material to take the impression because within seconds my mouth is filled with gooey, sticky, runny Silly Putty. It gets even better. As he is frantically trying to remove this goo from my teeth, I'll choking on big gobs which are trickling down my throat. Excuse me, Miss, How did you die in the dental chair? Anyway, I missed Website Wednesday. Sorry. Of course, if I had choked to death, I would have missed the rest of my life. Always look on the bright side.

And now for something completely different. I just came across a knitting article/plagiarism issue at Samurai Knitter and I'd like you to look at:

http://samuraiknitter.blogspot.com/

Read the entry for Wednesday, 3/21 and you'll get all the info and links you need to follow the situation.

A little background on SK. I've been following her blog for quite a while. She has a unique style, diverse interests, does a top-notch reviewing job on knitting related (and non-knitting related) matters and has a delightful daughter of whom she blogs often.

Now from reading the 3/21 entry, you'll see that this is a clear case of plagiarism and of the pretty blatant sort since SK wrote the original article for Knitty and Knitty is a well-read knitting website. Plus, the offending woman admitted the fact and sort of did/maybe didn't apologize.

I have a lot of problems with our copyright laws in the US because as they are written now was never the original intent of our founders:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries. (Article 1, Sect. 8, Clause 8; Wikipedia)

However, plagiarism is another story. That I disapprove of whether the original material was copyrighted or not. Plagiarism combines sneakiness with laziness and also probably the lack of knowledge on how to cite sources.

So take a look at SK and comment there if you wish (it looks like a simple commenting procedure.) This is a recurring "hot" issue with Ravelry.

Next week: I promise we'll work the armholes and then it will be smooth sailing to the bottom hem.



No comments: