Monday, May 7, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Movie Monday
 
 This is newsletter prep day. We're getting so good at this that it took us 10 minutes to stuff the envelopes. But obviously those 10 minutes dulled my mind because I just realized I hadn't posted for Monday.
 
Before a movie review, a quick political observation. On Saturday, I heard, not saw, Obama's kick-off speech. I was about 30 feet away at the computer so I heard his cadence and determination, and the expected cheers but the words, not so much. The fervor, so similar to the 2008 Hope and Change  campaign made me think: Just what has happened in the almost 4-year Obama presidency? Or more specifically: Just what accomplishments can he run on? And I ran through a list, eliminated almost all as not being  liberal/progressive accomplishments (for example, national heath care without a public option is really business as usual) and came up with the one accomplishment he can definitely run on: Obama saved capitalism. As a liberal/progressive, that accomplishment fills me with no joy. But it did raise another question: Will he get any traction with this? And I think this, to quote the bard, is "the rub." Because I don't he will pick up one conservative vote with this accomplishment but I do think he may cause a substantial number of 2008 "true believers" to sit out the 2012 election. More thoughts on this another day.
 
Knockaround Guys was made in 2002 and stars Barry Pepper, Vin Diesel, Dennis Hopper, Seth Green, John Malkovich and others. It's part of my Verizon movie package (a slightly better package since last week because a new month kicked in) but it was a box office dud in 2002 with a total gross of less than $14M and a budget of $15M. It's a "guy" film; in fact, it was my husband who started watching it one late night but with all its violence and with its lack of CGI (a plus), there's still definitely something worth watching in this movie.
 
You have a typical crime family, dad, his trusted bookkeeper, his henchmen and a son who is kept out of the family business. Kept out of the family business but also out of every sort of business because his family name closes the door for him with any job he's applying for. Finally, dad gives him a simple task of retrieving some money, which, of course, develops into the movie plot; a plot which twists, turns and then with an unexpected death near the climax makes you realize that this movie has still more paths to take you down. 
 
The movie runs for 92 minutes and its brevity and excellent editing keep your interest. Writers/directors Brian Koppelman and David Levien skillfully add a moral twist to what, in lesser hands, would only be a superficial plot of blood, gore and guns.

I don't mean to sound evasive in my review but this movie should just be seen not verbiaged to death. This one was a surprise to me. See what you think.


No comments: