Saturday, July 28, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Saturday, with pics
 
Rather than agonize over formatting, I'm going to add a second day of knitting and not bother to edit Knitting Friday. On the right, is a variegated cotton, purple, blue, green and white, knitted on the old Boye Needlemaster. I had originally knitted this top with a body of 120 stitches which was way too large. This one has 100 stitches in the body and a crab stitch (backward single crochet) across the bottom as a hem.
Done on old Boye Needlemaster

The picture on the left is a different pattern for me. a row of knit, a row of YO, K2tog across. Then comes the oh, so, slow row of: *P1, (P1, K1) in same st, pass 1st P st over the second two*. Then a last row of P1, K1 across. But it's that third row which is so long and laborious.
Four slow rows of pattern

I'm using Harmony US 10 and probably a metal tip would have been faster. I see using at least the skein pictured and part of a third skein. This is making a very heavy top so even though it's cotton, the weight of the yarn should have been no more than sport weight. As it is, the DK cotton I'm using is going to weigh like chain mail. This body only have 104 stitches but the pattern is pretty open and I think it will work.
Done on new Boye Needlemaster
 
As I said on Friday, with all my new WIPs I went to a US 10 in the new Boye Needlemaster I just got from Amazon for $30 and change. It's a simple pattern of knit one row, YO, K2tog across for one row. The yarn is a nubby cotton blend which lived as an never-used afghan for quite a while before it went to frog heaven. I'm very happy with my progress and I don't find the Boye needles in the least cumbersome to use. I have about 2.5 inches to go before I can bind off for the armholes and then I'm hoping I will start flying along.

Crochet cotton shawl unblocked
Finally, a shawl. Although the shawl on the left is captioned unblocked, it's laying on my dining room table being blocked as I type. The point at the top is not the bottom of a triangle, it's the top! But though it's difficult to believe, this shawl will block into a slightly wonky crescent. Trust me, I've made a bunch of these shawls. They are my anecdotal evidence of climate change. Why? Two reasons. One: I like a "little something" over the camisoles and two: because I'm having to wear camisoles all summer because even regular tees are too warm. So the more days I reach for a cami and shawl, the more days I know the end is near. Who needs scientific evidence when you can produce knitting evidence?
 
So these are the pictures I promised. Hopefully, next Friday, some of these WIPs will be finished. See you then.





 
 
 
 
 

No comments: