Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
 Website Wednesday

Since I post about politics and history, I guess I should say something about Margaret Thatcher who, in life, brought so much misery to so many people with so much glee. But let me just borrow a comment I read regarding her: Nothing nice to say, and move on.

I have some fast, light picks this week so I can leave you with my final one which, I hope, you will find as challenging as I have.


Mental Floss is a favorite of mine and was a previous pick in 2010 but I thought this page might need a current visit. It's a pictorial list of the voices behind Disney animated characters. Nothing to ponder over but if you, like me, have thought something like this in the past: Hmmm. Who is that actor doing the voice of Scar (The Lion King)?, you'll get your answers here.


Socialphy lists the above as the top 100 pics on 2012. For me, a great photo must take me beyond itself. #19 does that. Take a look for yourself.

And, staying with Socialphy:


These are listed as to-look-forward-to 2012 movies.Well, we're in 2013 so you can answer: Were they worth waiting for?  (Note: At least one, The Great Gatsby, still hasn't been released.)

Finally, moving towards to my final pick:


This page has a series of lateral thinking puzzles. You know, the type like: How could a baby fall out of a twenty-story building onto the ground and live? It's a very generous set of puzzles since each comes with a hint and a solution. Of course for me, my answer to each is always: I have no idea. But a lot of people are aces in this kind of thinking so give it a try. (As far as I can tell, these questions may be tricky but are logical.)

Some back story before my final pick. When the kids were young, I used to awaken in the wee hours of the morning and play hostage negotiation games on the internet. No, I was not honing my skills to deal with children all day; I just found this type of game intriguing and unfortunately very sad since you can't believe the number of hostages who got blown away because I asked the wrong questions.

Fast forward 10 years and yesterday I decided to search for my "old friends." The internet has grown into a very, very big person in 10 years but I finally found my very early morning web pals from the past at:


Note: The game listed as The Desperate Dad has a glitch but you can get to TDD at:


What you get is a group of games where you must defuse volatile situations. The Desperate Dad has a distraught man in an office building who has strapped himself with explosives. Your job is to "talk him down." Of course, you can only click on the responses listed (you can't make up stuff) and by two incorrect responses, the game ends (sometimes with an explosion). But you are able to try again or move on to another game. These look like fun, easy to play, clickable games but I've read that they are used in negotiation training and very soon you'll find yourself trying hard to give the right answers. Hope you enjoy these games as much as I did.

See you next week.

 

 

No comments: