Friday, June 28, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

Not a lot of knitting done this week. A lot of knitting reading done and though the needles were in hand as I read I seem to have so little to show for it.

So let me get whatever I did accomplish out of the way first:
#1 Foundation Chain Neckband Front

Remember I mentioned the white cotton top which I had frogged, washed, and hung to dry with weights? Well, the picture on the right shows that "new" yarn I created in yet another white top. Since it was cotton and since I weighted down the drying process, I was able to eliminate all the "hard" kinks and it's knitting up almost like virgin yarn. But the picture is to show the foundation single crochet (FSC) neckband which was the mini-lesson last week. I think it looks more professional than my typical seed stitch neckband. It's only one row so, while crocheting takes more yarn, you're only doing very little crocheting here. The top in #1 is started on an H hook for the 80 foundation-single crochet chain. Then 80 stitches were picked up from the FSC with US 8 needles. Still using US 8, I increased in the next row (Kfb) to 140 stitches. After that I switched to US 10.5 and worked the pattern of 2 rows in K, followed by 1 row in *YO, K2tog*. (See last Friday for more on the FSC.)
#2 Back of Neckband

#2 is the backside of the neckband. The beginning of the FSC is in the middle left and very good eyes may see it but: What Me Worry? 

While I'm at it, here's a picture of the underarm from this top. I've come a long way from the pictures I've posted of underarms with flimsy single strands of yarn. The left side top of the picture is the front of the underarm (the yarn looks bright white), the slightly-more-to-the-left side of the picture (it looks darker white) is the back of the underarm. I can't believe it took me so long to solve this problem.
#3 Underarm


Except for doing a few rows on my orange top and my EZ Bow Tie shawl, that's all my knitting for the week.

I did find an interesting article on Lion Brand:


The blogger, Franklin Habit, looks into the "rivalry" between knitters and crocheters. (“I don’t crochet,” she said. “I’m a knitter!”) I'm interested in this article (Hope you will be also.) because I do combination crocheting and knitting whenever I can. Though I do admit there are certain items that look more professional with knitting. (Does that make me a craft snob?) But I also think that with certain yarn and hook combinations, you get the same professional look as knitting. For example, lace wool crocheting. Read the article and then read the comments. There are a lot of them.

I'll leave you with some items which made my library at Ravelry this week.


which is knit and:


which is crochet. I'm thinking about fingering for the Cyrcus (1st one) and lace for the Alita (2nd one.)

And here's one in knit which I'm looking at from Cascade Yarns and you don't need to join Ravelry to get the pattern:


It's the first pattern, 220 Superwash Paints Snuggle Bolero. It's a very easy knit and I think you can work a lot of modifications with it.

That's it for today. See you next week. Happy knitting (and crocheting.)


No comments: