Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Website Wednesday

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday (sorry for the double title of Website Wednesday; I couldn't maneuver the site without adding a second one)
 
I think it was Ellison in the Invisible Man who had the grandfather say (as I've quoted, I'm sure inaccurately, here before): The white man always has the black man chasing his tail.
 
IM was a novel about blacks in a white society but I think Grandpa's message cuts through all races and I'd rewrite it as: The rich always has the poor/middle class/not so rich chasing his tail. Keep them busy with basic existence issues (health care, housing, utility bills) and they really won't be lifting their heads to see the chicanery going on all around them.

This is all brought home to me right now. Hospice care-giving is leaving me so physically tired (I didn't know that my legs could hurt so much) that all my anger/concern/disbelief (Why? Please tell me why draconian anti-abortion laws are soooo important to so many male politicians as they gleefully cut social aid needed when that embryo/fetus becomes an actual baby?) has sort of packed its bags and headed for a summer vacation in distant climes. I'm assuming when this is all over, and it will be all over, it will return. But right now, like Grandpa, all I'm trying to do is twirl around rapidly so I can grab my tail.
 
A picture to start and just one picture:


I think I know where this picture was taken. If not, it's close enough to a place to I know well that I got chills looking at it. Pictures can do that to me. I'm gathering creative writing prompts for the kids' summer work, maybe I'll use this one.

OK, maybe this is overkill, but do you get the same thoughts I get when I look at this picture?:

 
Just what has gone on behind these walls? 
And even more pictures (Hey! It's summer.):

 
Of all the cities in the US that I've visited, I think New Orleans had the most European flavor. I loved visiting New Orleans and it's probably the only city I'd want to re-re-visit. Chris Jordan has a great, sad collection from the aftermath of Katrina: the chair in the fence, the fridge in the tree. Take a look.
OK, so maybe I'm losing it with:
 
 
What you do here is use your mouse to get the big gray ball to reproduce so that the final screen will be filled will tiny, teeny gray balls. It's not your Mensa site but there is something very soothing in the consistency of your task. And yes, the balls will get so tiny that they cease to "breed."

And finally:


No, I have not flipped. Hooda Math games are a variation on the room escape games (in that your mission is to find the hidden room) that I've been playing lately. Very easy with a touch of math (safe code will be one number subtracted from another number you must find.) I like the simplicity and there is a consistent enough logic that I don't need cheats. It's safe for the office and if "caught" you can always say: My kid needs some fun math exercises this summer so I'm trying these out.

OK, that's it for today. See you next week.

No comments: