Friday, August 16, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

When I read history, my belief that the human species "ain't that hot" is unfortunately reinforced, so much so that I've decided that the best short reason for my being alive (that is, if I'm ever asked) is: I want to be a good ancestor. Because maybe some day our species will evolve into something worth saving. (DH's scientist response to this is: Good luck on that one.) 

But two weeks ago, the girl took up knitting and crocheting again, with a vengeance. Like music and horseback riding (which she has also avidly returned to), she had been taught these craft skills as a young child and, of course, watched me engage in them every day for years. However, recently, she started knitting without anymore instructions from me and yesterday, we spent a good part of the day re-learning crochet, this time by reading a crochet symbols chart.

Here's her recent knitting project:
#1 The scarf

It's a scarf done on US 13 needles and Knit Picks fingering weight yarn. It's very stretchy so that you won't notice any unevenness in the gauge.

Then on Wednesday, she watched me making another corner to corner afghan and asked to work at row. Here's the pattern again:


So I gave her a quick lesson in the stitch I was using and then, that night, I worked up the pattern in symbols since I'm thinking that knitting and crocheting in the future may come with charted directions.
#2 My 1st crochet chart
#3 Swatch afghan

Here's my rude chart for the corner to corner afghan (#2). As you can see, it's pretty primitive but she's good in math and music so I think these were just more symbols for her to learn.

#3 is the swatch afghan she made from these instructions. (Note: the original corner to corner afghan is a square. I figured out how to work an even section [an increase & a decrease each row] so that you produce a rectangle.) I'm impressed with her swatch and right now, she has a chunk of white yarn, a J hook, and is making a winter scarf in this pattern.

My heart soars! No, not because I taught her these skills but because we have another knitter and crocheter in the family. All my needles, all my yarn have found a home. That's what I call being a good ancestor!

Not much crafting on my part this week. Fatigue has hit me, as I mentioned Wednesday, and my spare time activities seem to be dragging and cat napping. It really is a "going though the paces" existence at this time for everyone. You do what you have to do.

I did get to work up this sample (#4) in the early hours of one morning:

#4 What pattern is this?
I think it worked up into a nice looking shawl which may work in crochet thread for summer wear. Unfortunately, I have no idea what pattern I was using so I'm hoping I e-mailed the link to myself. I find that e-mailing is a good quick way to save a pattern when I don't have the time to read the directions. I have scores of e-mails with snippets of patterns or links. I really should find some time to scour them and arrange them in one file.

That's it for today. Next week I hope to discover the identity of picture #4 and I'll show you a black lace summer shawlette I'm making in heavy cotton cord-weight thread. The jury is still out on this one. I hope it doesn't wind up in the frog pond of What Was I Thinking projects.

Happy knitting. See you next week.
 

 







 

No comments: