Friday, April 24, 2009

Knitting Friday and Crochet Friday

Off topic slightly but it did happen while I was knitting. Yesterday, I was knitting in the afternoon and watching the news. The knitting part is not unusual; watching the news is. They were presenting a clip of an interview with Dick Cheney’s daughter (will someone tell me this woman’s claim to fame or rather claim to national air time, except through DNA?) pontificating the latest Republican rationale for waterboarding: Navy SEALs are waterboarded so it isn’t torture.

Jesus H. Christ, morph me into a dog so I can leave my species! What lunacy! Does her tongue not shrivel up as the words pass it? Unfortunately, in some circles (outside of the 9th Circle of Hell that is) people are hearing this drivel and nodding in agreement.

But knitting does calm you and as I knitted I came up with the solution: induct waterboarded prisoners into the SEALs. End of controversy. Talk about using good old American ingenuity.

And on to Knitting Friday:

Sometimes, I prefer crocheting, especially with cotton thread and a large hook. Usually the crochet look is too stiff and home made (as opposed to hand made) but I did have fun experimenting with the following pattern: the mitered square.

First there is the mitered square worked from small to large end at:

http://www.innerchildcrochet.com/resources/how_to_design/mitered_square.html

Advantage: It gives you a neat look; even neater than working from the large sides and decreasing to 3 stitches. Disadvantage: I can’t figure out how you can start a second square off the first square which means you will be weaving in a lot of ends.

Then there is the mitered square pattern found at: (Note: picture below is with my old reliable Caron One Pound yarn which is pulled out many times to make pattern swatches. N hook was used.)

http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/07/mitered-squares-baby-blanket-crocheted.html

This is the square pattern I used which is based on the Bernat blanket pattern found at:
http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/pdf/Bernat_OrganicCottonweb1_cr_blanket.en_US.pdf

I made one variation since looking at the Bernat diagram it seems that after Square 7 which ends on the left, you start Square 8 on the far right. But I don’t see instructions for how to go from left to right without cutting the yarn.


My solution: Make your first tier of squares to width (or length.) When you have one chain left on your last square, single crochet across the top of the first tier of squares back to Square 1. (Important: You must single crochet one-half the number of stitches you are using for each square. Example: if you chained 16 - number must be even - you would single crochet 8 stitches across the top of each square.)

Once you are back at Square 1, chain 8 for the second side of your square, turn, single crochet down the chain 8 and through the back loops* of the single crochets along the top of Square 1 for 16 sttiches. Turn and work as usual.

*Except when you are single crocheting in a chain, all the stitches are worked through the back loop. You want have a consistent look so mark one side of your work. If you find yourself working a square from the other side, you would work in the front loops to keep the look.

Why I like this project: It’s a great “carry along” project. It’s a good stash buster. And the variations are endless: Work with thin yarn and large needles. Take your measurements and chain for a square big enough for a sweater front. (I know it won’t be form fitting.) Make two. Join shoulders and sides. Crochet around the armholes to finish. Pick up the bottom and knit a hem. (I have done this with a two knitted mitered squares and it does work.)

And now, a simple pattern:

My Incredible Summer Shawl (picture below)

Equipment: 2 balls of Lion Brand Incredible (yes, it was a Dollar Tree purchase);
US 19 needles. Hanging Size: 21" x 57"**
CO 25 sts. K every row. Bind off evenly.
Notes: Join balls with tight knot. Near the end of the yarn, measure 4 lengths of a row; put a knot there and when you get to the knot, bind off. That’s it. Simple and elegant
**Incredible is the slinky toy of yarns; it stretches and bounces right back. I made this as a summer cover-up on the days I dress like Johnny Cash.

Enjoy your knitting this week.
Next week (I hope): the Tess D’Uberville Shawl aka “working” shawl you’ll love. And, my knitted stash buster mitered square shawl - still a work in progress.

No comments: