Friday, September 25, 2009

Medicare For All

In an article titled: President Obama: Get Angry About Health Care Reform, Andrew Weil, MD, writes: Is the Baucus plan, the one that manages the improbable feat of making the developed world's most expensive, least effective health care system even worse, indeed the only one with a prayer of passage? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Knitting Friday

Sometimes the mind sees clarity. Like my realizing this week that I love shawls because shawls are delightful knits compared to the ball-busting agony required of sweater knitting. Well, I may be exaggerating the pain factor. However, I am trying to be so good and change my style (like when Pat Boone went punk and the world went puke) and knit something other than shawls.

I have finished the Red Hear Plush pullover. I think I know why they discontinued that yarn. I used US 9 needles and I think US 8 would have given a more finished, tighter look. However, US 8 needles produced a heavy felted look. So I was between Scylla and that other one (you know, the rock and the hard place); damned either way I went. I think it’s going to be warm but never pretty. I’m post a picture when it and I are in the same place in regard to a camera.

Then there is the Shalom cardigan:
http://involvingthesenses.blogspot.com/


I fell in love with that one some time ago but, not reading the directions, I thought the pattern was complicated. No, it was a mindless twisted rib. (K in back loop one side; P in back loop on the other side) And that almost proved my undoing. For mindless for me equates with careless pretty fast and there I was working the K stitches in the back loops when I should have been working the P stitches that way. Now, this is a simple fix, just work your way down to the “flat” stitch and twist in back up to the needle, but a tedious fix.

Oh boy! As I knit and type, I notice a ladder between two stitches which has just appeared. It’s about 8 rows long so I have been working this one in for quite a long time. It’s rip-it time!

Just some particulars before I move on from Shalom. I started with the same CO as the designer. (I think it was 67 sts.) I used US 9 needles. I did this because I also did this with the Plush top-down pullover and that worked. For the second set of increases, I worked M1, K3 across and I’m going -to do the same for the last set of increases. This is because I know I need about a 25 - 45 - 50 - 45 - 25 stitch count across when I start the body and the pattern only provides 169 stitches at this point. I need that many stitches because I want more the look of a cardigan than a shrug. Plus, I’m knitting the body in straight stockinette - no increases or decreases. If this sweater stops being a bunny hop garment (you know, one hop forward, two hops back), I’ll post a picture next week.

Finally, my blue cotton sweater. A picture will follow as soon as my camera guy arrives. It’s nowhere near done but I’m really liking it. It was just a CO of 120 stitches on US 9 and then knitting 10 stitch-14 row squares of alternating seed stitch and stockinette stitch. This is one of the few times that Mill End cotton which I get on the cheap feels so nice. Mill Ends are hit and miss and I only pick up cottons and funky yarns. You get a few duds but I’ve been happy with a lot of these “grab bag” purchases. This garment is starting life as a vest but it may cry out for sleeves. To be continued.

Happy knitting.

No comments: