Monday, September 14, 2009

Medicare For All

Movie Monday

I like movies that teach you something. Not in the hammer over the head way but in subtle ways where you learn something new or get something old reinforced. Something concrete like how to build a nuclear device (does it seem to you, as it seems to me, that movie characters always seem to have all sorts of nifty components right in their workshops ready to build these little buggers?) or something intrinsic like how to be a better human being.

I just happened to catch the tail end of the documentary, Someone Told Me About Carla Bruni this morning. (Director: George Scott) I was expecting to see a fluff propaganda piece and in the section I saw, I didn’t see any Bruni character flaws mentioned. So I was ready to dismiss it as good propaganda for the first lady of France. Perhaps to score votes for her hubby?

Then Bruni discussed how lucky her life was and how many other people were not as fortunate. As she explained how this privilege had shaped her life I thought: She understands the human condition. She understands our obligation to one another. She gets it.

OK, I’m not naive. I understand this segment will probably play very well with its intended French audience. This may have been a sincere, fulsome moment I was watching. But that didn’t matter. What she said was important; it was not about her as the messenger.

This is all segueing into my final look at children’s movies. As you know, I think it’s important what children see in movies aimed at them. But, once again, I’m not naive in believing what is put in the movies is what kids pick out. But good kids’ movies can give parents good talking point and discussion jumping boards.

From the last two Mondays, you know that I was disappointed with Her Majesty and Over The Hedge because of the psychotic brother in the first and the random destruction in the second. Then, this weekend, I watched Shrek, again, twice.

And, it kept my interest both times. And, this time I watched it differently.

OK, it’s charming and witty with its jabs at Disney World (or Land) and its tweaking of our favorite fairy tales. It filled its quota of fart jokes and grossness. It had really neat songs. Its adult subtleties were done smoothly. (Not the usual: Hey, parents, I know you’re bored to tears here, this joke's for you.)

I liked Shrek when it came out in 2001 and I like it now almost 10 years later. It hasn’t lost its charm. A lot of work went into this production. All the voices clicked. The Donkey was annoying and likeable. Princess Fiona displayed both her feminist side and her fairy tale side. A lot of minor fairy tale characters had their "15 minutes" of fame.

As I watched it this weekend I thought it would be a good coda for my look at messages in kids’ movies because Shrek says a lot. By the end of the movie, Shrek, the solitary ogre, has moved into the community of men and Fiona has realized that character trumps beauty.

I see this as a great “talking points” movie for kids as they are working their way into the social structure of school; once they move beyond the grades where teachers are monitoring their social interactions and they’re on their own on the playground and lunch room. (Starting in Grade 2?) That’s when the pecking order nonsense starts and that’s when the kids who are “different” start to feel the sting.

Shrek is not the panacea for the poor kid who cries: No one will play with me. But it is one of those movies where parents can connect a message with a problem with ease. We seem to be finding fewer and fewer movies like that these days; those having both fun and learning. What a concept!

So take another look at Shrek. Even if the kids are way beyond talking ogres you'll enjoy it.

No comments: