Monday, October 26, 2009

Medicare For All - Public Option Now

Movie Monday

I discovered what a good actor David Thewlis is this week. I had liked him as Professor Lupin in HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban. But it wasn't until I checked with IMDb that I realized he played the pianist, Kinsky, in Besieged.

The great acting? In
HP, I thought he was over 6 feet tall (which he is) but in Besieged, I was sure he was around 5' 6". Now, that's great acting!

OK, I'm joking but I do like Thewlis. I really have to watch
Besieged again because I viewed it as a pleasant, unrealistic little romance. Then I read the plot. Apparently, I missed some crucial minutes in the beginning of the movie. And I mean very crucial. I have been trying to catch the movie again but my movie package seems heavy on the vampire motif so close to Halloween.

I did see
Bolt and found it delightful. It's a "seen it, been there" animated plot but Bolt is soooo cute. (Yes, I am a sucker for dogs.)

The only thing I didn't like was the fire scene. That smoke inhalation would have killed a moose. OK, I know it was fantasy but it was teaching some good lessons and movie going kids are never too young to learn fire safety.

And finally
Appaloosa. This has been my piecemeal movie since I think I still haven't seen the whole thing in one sitting. But every time I'm getting longer and longer pieces and I'm going to go out on a limb (I know, the paid movie reviewing community is shaking) and say this movie will become an iconic Western as time goes on. (Hopefully, more iconic than High Noon where the young Grace Kelly marrying her figurative grandfather, Gary Cooper, still bothers me.)

Appaloosa is based on a Robert B. Parker novel. Now my only previous contact with Parker was an audio book which I listened to on a long trip to Boston. Parker is a laconic writer but I don't remember him as a nuanced one.

So kudos to Ed Harris as director and co-writer and Harris and Viggo Mortensen as the main actors for fleshing out a probably bare bones plot with thematic depth. Renee Zellweger played a "real" woman's role in the Wild West well though I would have liked to see a different actress in this role since Zellweger for me is always mugging in
Chicago. Jeremy Irons plays your stock villain with powerful friends with aplomb. Poor Irons I always wanted to pull that wad of cotton out his mouth. You know, the one they put it so he could lose his English accent.

But watch this movie. From start to finish. It's better than
High Noon because it tells the tale after the cameras stopped rolling, movie stars went home and the West came out to live.

Finally, the answer to last week's math enigma:

A candy merchant receives 3 opaque boxes. One box contains mint candies, another contains anise candies, and the last box contains a mixture of mint and anise. The boxes are labeled Mint, Anise, and Mixed. All of the boxes are labeled incorrectly. What is the minimum number of candies the merchant will have to sample to correctly label each box?

Answer: You need to take out only one candy but it must be from the Mixed box. Why? The key information in the problem is "all of the boxes are labeled incorrectly." So:
the Mint box is either Mixed or Anise
he Anise box is either Mixed or Mint
the Mixed box is either Mint or Anise.

Take out one candy from the Mixed box. If it's Anise, you know the Mixed box is Anise. So the Mint box can't also be Anise, it has to be Mixed. That leaves the Anise box to be really Mint.

I told you it was a forehead slapping answer.

See you on Wednesday.


No comments: