Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Medicare For All - Public Option Now

Website Wednesday

Before the website, a book recommendation:

The Illustrated Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era
by James M. McPherson.


You can get it at Amazon and Barnes and Noble but I'll give a plug to Borders where it's the cheapest ($9.99) and where I bought it.

First a little background: I already have the non-illustrated, paperback version of this book. I have already used this book for an online course from Barnes and Noble (remember those?) about the U.S. Civil War. But there I was, killing time at Borders in the Bargain Books section and about half-way down the shelves I see this large version of the McPherson book. As I reach to pull it up for reading, a nice employee (well, they are really all nice) walks by and says "Hello" to me. That distraction coupled with my responding greeting and losing my grip on the book, caused the book to propel to the floor missing my feet by inches. And that was a very good thing since this book is very heavy.

But, like finally discovering Waldo amidst all the pseudo-Waldos, this incident brought the book to my attention and finally to my dining table where it sits now. The reason it sits there is because the damn thing is so heavy it would crush a reader's lap.

However, never judge a book by its outside (or weight); this book is one of the best, if not the best, study of antebellum U.S. and Civil War U.S. I will not link to NRO but their reviewer was spot on; this is one fantastic book, made so much better with a treasure trove of contemporary illustrations and their informative captions.

Don't like war stories? Then read it for answers to why the U.S. is as it is today.Too often people deride today's dirty politics. Read this American history and you'll find out a lot about our present history. This is one of those coffee table books which is a must-read. Don't miss it.

And now, my website: http://www.thedailycontributor.com/

I first discovered this website by looking at their examples of adult Halloween costumes

http://www.thedailycontributor.com/halloween-costumes-part-1-80s-costumes and
http://www.thedailycontributor.com/halloween-costumes-part-2-90s-costumes,

and many of these are quite easy to make.

Then I went on to read: Thanks for visiting TheDailyContributor.com! There are many popular blogs on the Internet today and our goal is to become one of the most popular blogs of all-time. Our pop culture blog has many inspirations and our writers are motived (sic) to write about pop culture. Come back and visit us anytime and we will most always have new and fresh pop culture content. Our goal to become one the most popular blogs on the internet starts and ends with you, our readers. We can't become one of these popular blogs without you guys coming to check us out. To help make our pop culture blog on of the most popular blogs on the internet please send us an email letting us know how we can make this site one of the most popular blogs. Tell us why we at TheDailyContributor.com, a pop culture blog, are on our way to becoming one of the more popular blogs or tell us why we will never, ever, ever become one of the most popular blogs on the Internet.

And, I decided to look around.

Current Halloween postings include Halloween drinks (which sound like they would knock your socks off) and how to defeat ghosts and vampires.

Other popular topics include: 10 best cartoon dads, must-read Marvel comics of the '90s, Zelda (I love Zelda!), and strange language in corporate America. It's light, fast reading; you don't like one topic, here's another one you might.

There is a frequent posting of different Google search results for random topics. "I think my sister...." and "Why is my...." are the two current searches. I get what he's doing but I probably won't get the why of this unless I search the archives. Or less, this is really, really cool and in; but I'm not. Take a look at these searches and see what you think.

If you think this is all fun and games, hit the links on the right. Under Fashion, there's a posting about using summer and spring fashion pieces in your fall wardrobe and the advice is not bad. Or under Dating Advice, you get 5 ideas for fun October activities including a horror movie marathon.

Or click on Essays. There's a short one comparing Sir Gawain and Beowulf and The Quest for Identity, with a link to a very short review of the movie, Beowulf, one of my favorite all-time awful movies.

So go take a look at The Daily Contributor and help make it one of the web's most popular. This blogger has put a lot of work into making this a very enjoyable and informative website.

No comments: