Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Website Wednesday

This is my first Website Wednesday in the new decade; not that it means much. But some things I have learned since the new decade:

1. I do have enough warm clothes to wear in a nuclear winter; that is, if the temp stays in the 20s.
2. Keurig makes a nice one-cup coffee maker (as seen in banks and other places) but I am used to strong, strong coffee (I didn't even know that) and that tingling headache I have been getting every morning is due to my coffee addiction (I didn't know that either.) Today, for the first time in two weeks, I had three cups of coffee from my old Cuisinart carafe coffee maker. Heaven!
3. My 10 year diet of very, very few starches is coming to an end. I am now including starch in my breakfast meal so I'm able to eat at 5 a.m. now and not start starving and snacking at 9 a.m. More on my progress (or regress) at a later date.
4. Obama should have tackled campaign finance reform immediately last January. I'm beginning to think that is the head of the snake and without such reform nothing substantial will change in re: to instituting any progressive social programs and/or reining in costs of current programs.
5. John Adams was concerned about the natural aristocracy which arises in all societies and understood the need of governments to protect the less fortunate. I didn't know he wrote about this. But then, the Flesch-Kincaid grade level of the piece is freshman college so I bet I have a lot of company.

So, you can see I have been busy during these first few days of the new decade; and I haven't even mentioned all the knitting I've done.

I have two picks for Website Wednesday. A little background: I have always been interested in our native Americans. I remember peering into the tepees at the Museum of Natural History in NYC as a child and it was just a "Wow!" experience for me. (Later, I learned that Joseph Campbell had the same reaction.) As I studied about indigenous people around the world I discovered the same thread: foreign conquerors arrive, the native population is decimated and history is written by the conquerors. Nothing surprising here; power wins. But I like to think that there are those of us who tend the fire of the memory of these peoples so they are not lost to human history. (The Estrucans are a good example of this.)

My first pick is:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/11/20/native-american-prints-by-pennington-photo-studio/

Which is a Denver Post site and may be time-sensitive so take a look now at pictures of native Americans which Pennington and Updike took in CO during the early part of the last century. What is fascinating is that these pictures were found in the 1970's in a cabinet at the Denver Post and each picture had a caption written on the back. To have the pictures alone is a great find but to have a description on each was miraculous. (And this is from a person who has stared at many, many old family photos wondering: Who the hell are these people?

The comments which follow these pictures (and there seem to be no trolls among them) took me to my second pick:

http://www.chiefwashakie.com/wrhcexhibits1.html


The site says of itself:

The Chief Washakie Foundation is a non-profit organization that supports educational programs and research, the creation of class room materials, and scholarship opportunities for Native American youth and educators with significant ties to Wyoming’s Wind River Indian Reservation.

This is a fantastically rich treasure trove of information. You get text, you get old pictures, you even get a section on early western movie star Tim McCoy. Go back to the 1999 - 2000 archives for information on the boarding school experience in Carlisle PA where native Americans were sent. (I have special interest in this boarding school experience because I’ve spent a lot of time in Carlisle, PA and, as a child, my Girl Scout troop regularly volunteered at a north NJ orphanage where many children did have parents.)

I’ll quit now so you can spend time on these sites. They make me sad but they are part of a history we should all remember.

No comments: