Friday, January 15, 2010

Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Knitting Friday

No pictures until later because my photographer is traveling to pick up pool table covers for our clubhouse and then he is going to look at Ford cars. Oh, the horror! Not picking up pool table covers but looking at Fords! I know: Go America! But they are sooooo old-fashioned. They are supposed to be getting good reviews and it is an American manufacturing product but driving a Ford would be like a young man dating an old woman with bleached hair, a lot of makeup and Botox. I know, me bad.

I guess I'm cranky because I spent the early hours today trying get a get a shawl pattern for about 1200 yards of Knit Pick Palette (fingering) in light blue. It's from my "I bought way too much yarn for the Super Mario blanket" stash. I had started crocheting it into a ch3-3dc cluster shawl on an N hook. As you know, I've been very successful with this pattern with lace weight - it's so soft and fluffy. But with fingering, I'm getting a typical heavy crochet look.

Mea culpas to all the crocheters out there. Don't take this as a slam. I do like to crochet but I can't stand the heavy look crocheting often produces. It's just me.

So here I am, trying to work simple, simple lace patterns like: *YO, K2tog.* Maybe a row of K to separate this simple lace. Plus, I'm trying to work out a pattern that I won't screw up, as usual. I must go into a brain freeze with simple patterns because I always screw them up.

Then I look at these masterpieces:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTspoke.php

or this:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/KSPATTbitterroot.php


and I think: WTF? I can't even get a simple YO, K2tog right!

Finally, I worked out this simple pattern:

CO 2 with fingering weight and US 10 needles.

K front & back in each st 2xs - 4 sts

Row 1 RS and 2: K1 *YO, K2tog* K1
Row 3 RS: Kfb *K* Kfb - increase row
Row 4: Kfb *P* Kfb - increase row

Mark the RS. Every time you're on that side it's either Row 1 of the lace or a increasing K row. So far, I don't need a row counter but we'll see. I'll knit to the width I want and then change the ending Kfb in Rows 3 & 4 to K2tog. Then at my length, Rows 3 and 4 with begin and end with K2tog.

That's it. This is a variation of a very old, very ubiquitous pattern. Row 3 and 4 make it stockinette; Row 1 and 2 keep a garter look. So you wind up with simple lace which doesn't curl and has a respectable wrong side.

Got to go. We're having a two person family birthday party tonight and it's going to be a pizza party. Happy day.

Happy knitting. Pictures will follow including two trinity stitch shawls, one blocked and one not. See if you can see the difference. I'm having a hard time with that.

No comments: