Friday, January 22, 2010

Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Knitting Friday
Well, I would like to say this has been a productive knitting week but I was so lazy and stupid. The shawl I was knitting got frogged and is now being remade into a cardigan.

A little background on this disaster: I have a lot of wool, sports and fingering, left over from the Super Mario blanket. Some I had to buy to get to my $50 minimum on free shipping but some comes from
the fact that the wool was bought when I was making a much bigger blanket. So, I have been looking at 6+ skeins of light blue Knit Picks Pallette (fingering) and wondering if I had enough for a sweater. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the “Eureka” moment until I had knitted a good portion of the shawl. Then I realized I should type in “Knit Picks Palette” under the yarn section at Ravelry and check through cardigan projects (Side Note: If you don’t belong to Ravelry, you really should join. It’s great and free.) I discovered that indeed I could knit a cardigan with 6 skeins of Palette using US 6 needles.

Right now, I’m 5" down from the neck of a top-down raglan cardigan. It’s going to be very light but I think with the yarn amount, I’m OK. I’ll post the picture (you know how great I am with posting pictures) and directions next week.
(Continued)

My photographer took the pictures I needed for today and went to work. Never one to waste time, I worked on my monthly newsletter and pretty much finished it. Plus, I worked on the light blue cardigan. It takes forever in fingering yarn. I'm only at 5.5 inches and this has to be at least 9 inches before I can start the body. Tedious but simple.

And now, the pictures I promised last Friday. You know before my photographer (I must get a pithier name for him) clunked his head on the car and got an black eye and the flu within 12 hours.


Would you look at these pictures and tell me if you can see the difference between them? The first one is blocked and it's 73" x 25". Here it is: You can see that the ends are folded in to show you that it's wider than the table. This blocked one is airier than the unblocked which means it would do well into the cool spring while the unblocked one is denser; more winter wear.
The second one is unblocked and that one measures 62" x 25". OK, that means the blocked one is 11" longer. But do I need this? The unblocked one is denser and definitely big enough. (No, it's not misshaped. though it definitely looks that way. It's a bad angle.)



I guess what I don't understand is: why block a stitch which doesn't need it? The trinity stitch doesn't need blocking. Now, if I had gotten a fantastic width with blocking, that would be different. However, the width stayed the same.
The plus side is that both shawls were the second tries and were knitted from very crinkly wool which I did not have to prepare first since the trinity stitch tells no tales. As you know, it's my favorite lazy day stitch.

That's it for today. Next week, I'll share my defunct shawl pattern (the one that got frogged for the blue sweater.) It's one of the very few simple lace patterns I can do and not make mistakes. That alone makes it worthy of posting.

Happy knitting.


No comments: