Monday, February 15, 2010

Is Health Care a Right or a Privilege?

Movie Monday and why there was no Knitting Friday

First, some technical stuff: I have no idea why, when I click on a posting from 2009, I get a black page. Now perhaps I am the only one in the universe who experiences this but I have been trying to fix it with no success. So, apologies if you too are greeted with the Black Screen of Doom.

And now: why no Knitting Friday?
1. It is my birthday month and I like to celebrate a lot.
2. We have had a really big snow storm in NJ so it's shovel time!
3. And finally the most immediate reason for no Knitting Friday, I'll tell to you as a mini-lesson: When you go to the MD for a routine visit and you get told you have an unexpected ailment, even though you probably go into mini-shock mode, be sure to get the correct name of your ailment before you leave the office. Really, don't forget to do this or else you may be spending an anguished amount of time googling a very, very serious condition. While if you had heard the word "pseudo" when your condition was mentioned you would have saved yourself a great, great deal of angst. (I didn't even know that ailments [outside of hypochondria that is] could even be pseudo!) 'Nuff said.

I also got a knitting shock early Friday morning - long before the shit hit the fan - when I laid out my blue shawl to take one more look just as I was binding off the final stitches and - I had a wrong row 3/4 down the shawl! Yes, I ripped it out back to that point because like Poe's purloined heart it would have hounded me until eternity if I hadn't. Knitting does teach you patience.

Movie Monday might have to be tweaked since I'm spending so much more time listening to audio books. I'm really hooked on LibriVox, which really pronounces much more easily as Liver Box. For Valentine's Day, I started listening to Persuasion. It is my favorite Austen probably because I see a darker Austen in this novel, though I do think she probably could have used a good editor midway.

My movie pick is: Nochnoy dozor* in Russian or Night Watch in English. Made in 2004, this is a mind blowing experience. I look at this film as a layman film critic and think: This is what movie making is all about. It's quirky with some ragged edges but it draws you in and drags you along for an unbelievable cinematic ride. I know, that sounds (and is) so cliched but once you see the movie you'll understand what I mean.

The plot has the "Others", forces of Good and Evil (ever heard that plot line before?) battling each other in Moscow through the ages. How formulaic, you say. Definitely - but then again, it isn't. It's vile, funny, satirical, outlandish; a feast for the eyes and the mind.

Be sure to take a look at it. It's on IFC and it's available in Netflix on DVD and Blu-ray.

*This movie is apparently part of a trilogy, like the Matrix. Another movie in the series is Dnevnoy dozor or Day Watch.





No comments: