Friday, February 5, 2010

Knitting Friday

A very late post for Knitting Friday. Tomorrow is my birthday party and at 2 am this morning I figured out what I wanted for a b-day cake. So for this birthday, I'm the one who will know what the cake looks like and every one else will be surprised.

Of course, this was not a cake to be bought but to be made. So, I tootled down to Sam's Club because that's where I knew I could by a mother-lode of whipped cream filled, really, really good frozen mini cream puffs. They sell them in packages of 70 and I used every one of them.

Here's my very easy recipe: (Remember, no one has eaten this beauty yet.)

Chocolate Ganache Cream Puff Cake

2 cups of very good chocolate in small pieces
2 cups of heavy cream
70 mini cream puffs

saucepan, whisk, stainless steel bowl, spoon, spatula. large ceramic tart plate

1. Butter the bottom and sides of a large fruit tart ceramic plate.
2. Place cream puffs solidly around the bottom of the plate and then mound the remaining puffs on top of these cream puffs, starting at the second round. With the very few you'll have left, shaped in the middle of the plate - like a wide, small hill.
3. Place two cups of good quality chocolate pieces in a stainless steel bowl. (I use chocolate chips.)
4. Place two cups of heavy cream in a sauce pan and bring to a full boil (watching all the time) over a high flame.
5. Remove from heat as soon as the cream boils.
6. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk the mixture until it's smooth.
7. Cool slightly till it's no longer hot.
8. Start to drizzle the chocolate mixture over the cream puffs until all the cream puffs are completely covered.
9. Refrigerate till the chocolate is firm then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till serving time.
10. Whip up some more heavy cream and serve it on the side.

That's it. Rum would taste good in the chocolate but we're having kid guests and I don't want to answer the question:
Say, what's that great flavor?

OK, I know all this has nothing to do with knitting but we're under a lot of suspense on the East Coast: we are going to get pummeled by a wicked snow storm in just a few hours. (You can't believe how crowded Sam's Club was with everyone getting de-icing stuff and staples; not so much with the Super Bowl party type stuff though.

I do have a hat/headband pattern I want to share with you but I'm going to wait until I get pictures. For now, I'll leave you with a link to a shawl from Knitting Pattern Central. Finally, a shawl I might knit:

http://tanglesandmud.blogspot.com/2010/01/first-pattern-ever.html

Got to go. I'm so psyched about this snow.

Happy knitting.




No comments: