Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

I'm still on a summer schedule which probably means I'm a lazy s.o.b.

Did I mention that the 7th grade math packet did not appear on the school's website until July 19th? I wonder how many kids were already on vacation by then and won't even know about it until the end of the summer? We got the packet done in a week (which was a good thing with camp and vacation now upon us.) It was the same packet from last summer, probably a "rip and print" affair since it's still full of confusions. (Like, directions to solve the equation when you could only simplify.)

We both did a packet separately and once the dust settles from camp, we'll compare our answers and any discrepancies will get bumped up to a higher authority.

So I have been busy but I'm also thinking about my website. I was thinking about it last Sunday, sitting in the rain in the Wegman's parking lot and watching all the SUVs pull up and their perky occupants emerge with their eco-friendly canvas bags. That soooooo cracks me up!

And in keeping with that, here's a green website for this Wednesday:

http://greenopolis.com/

I'm totally in love with their About:

Greenopolis makes a very simple – yet powerful – promise to you, our user:
We are about doing good.

Specifically, our goal is to provide you with information and tools to:

  • Help you to recycle easily
  • Help to save our natural resources for our children’s children
  • Track conservation through recycling and re-use
  • Educate and reward conservation
They're about doing good! I'm about doing good! Talk about soul mates!

Their current issue discusses the best bags for groceries and the world's oldest leather shoe (5,000+ years.)

The eco-clothing article has pictures and prices of nature friendly summer wear. Or, should I say, expensive, nature friendly wear?

OK, their niche audience is probably affluent (and white?) The current issue is full of pictures of 30-something, 40-something white women.

But don't get your panties in a bunch; there are very good ideas here. I especially liked using old books as planters. OK, I hear the book lovers throwing objects at me, but I've worked at way too many book fairs not to know that when the DPW truck arrives right after the sale to cart the leftovers away they are going to the dump - not good, book-loving homes.

Maybe, you don't want to rip up a book but this gets you thinking: Before I throw this out, can I find a practical use for it?

Of course, it should really get you thinking before you even make the purchase: Do I need this crap?

Take a look at Greenopolis. It's a vitally important subject, a fast read, and full of interesting and helpful ideas.

I'm off to read the article on cleaning your grill with coffee grinds. The first line starts with: Now that Melissa has me washing my face with coffee grounds.....

This should be interesting.





No comments: