Thursday, August 19, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday (which is technically less than 4 hours past Wednesday)

Why am I up at this early, early morning hour? Because Verizon changed my TV package and random 2 a.m. channel surfing (yes, 2 a.m. is my first "bright-eyed and bushy tailed" wake-up time which is probably not bad for a borderline insomniac) brought up a channel in black which announced that I couldn't watch it because I was not subscribed to that channel.

Well sweetie, I definitely was subscribed as I watched it at 8 p.m. last night. Long story short: I knew Verizon was changing the line-up today so I got up, went to their web site and read the line-up changes. And, that's why I'm up. (Turns out, my channel is not among the deleted ones - they are so mixed up.)

I had planned a fantastic photo site for this Website Wednesday with a decade of pictures, some of the WTC on 9/11 which I had never seen. But it was a real emotional-downer site and after the controversy in the USA re: the Islamic center in NYC, I decided to wait and perhaps talk about that brouhaha before I posted the website.

So, here's a worthy alternate which should keep you occupied well into the future:

http://www.dmoz.org/

I learned this about them from their up-to-date blog:

Since 1998, the Open Directory Project has been the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a passionate, global community of volunteer editors.

I learned this from their "About."

Join the Open Directory Project
1. Find a category that you would like to maintain.
2. Follow the Become an Editor link at the top of the category page.
Note that some categories do not have a Become an Editor link; you should find a more specific category which interests you, and apply there. Once you have joined, and gained some experience, you can apply for more general categories.

Wow! Universal learning where you can take an active part in the contents provided! No, this is not Wikipedia's older brother since it's website-based.

Clicking through these websites is like walking in fields of wheat. It's never-ending. You go from one website to another; one topic to another; one language to another......

I'm not going to comment on the accuracy of all the information but from what I clicked, Open Directory contains some very substantial websites. This is well-worth the bookmark for many future visits.

Final note: I remember this site from its inception over 10 years ago. Way before the proliferation of game sites on the web, this site offered a listing of online games. It was one of the first sites I bookmarked for that purpose.

Enjoy.



No comments: