Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

Everyone knows that I'm a sucker for pictures. Probably I heard that trite saying: A picture is worth a thousand words too early in my development and I got imprinted (I know, Twilight fans, I won't go there.)

This is the site I didn't post last week:

http://www.pixcetera.com/blog/2009/12/25/the-decade-in-pictures/

because I felt it was such a downer. And it is.

It's a decade of world pictures where, for the most part, you get to see the inhumanity committed man on man. It's sad and discouraging. The opening caption to the pictures says: A close look prompts one to think about the growing complexities in the world one lives in.

You have to come away from these pictures with your own take on optimism; it doesn't give you any.

Although the second and third pictures show the World Trade Center (NYC) on 9/11/01, this is not an anti-Muslim screed (how refreshing!)

Scroll down for an infamous Abu Gharib photo; scroll further for death and destruction in all forms.

The last shot - the scowling child and the sturdy dog looking into the camera - say, to my imagination, The world may be a shithole but we're here to stay. We'll survive.

Surprisingly, when I clicked on Galleries on the top bar, I got sent to your typical assortments of pictures: Fashion, Travel, Movies, etc. Worth a look but nothing spectacular.

But scroll through A Decade in Pictures. Read the captions. Do some thinking. Not every learning experience can be fun.



No comments: