Monday, April 11, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday


About a half hour into last night''s installment of the Mildred Pierce saga, I'm thinking: Can I just turn it off now and bitch-blog about this installment? But I didn't and as the poets have said: That made all the difference.

Because at this half hour point, like magic, Mildred Pierce took off. OK, it was still a lackluster tale of a frumpy housewife with a bitchy, selfish daughter but, like, it just jelled and for the rest of show to the final credits I sorta, kinda, cared.

Helping it along was the fact that Evan Rachel Wood arrived to play the grown-up Veda and she can act. She's a match for her mom and the scenes between the two become more emotionally charged. Wood plays a much, more evil Veda almost as a gentler, kinder Veda and I was surprised at my surprise (got that?) at the ending. I really didn't see it coming. I thought I had already looked into the depth of Veda's cunning, but I hadn't.

At the 1/2 hour point, the film editor seemed to have arrived. The pace picked up; not that important things start happening but everything seems to twirl just a bit faster.

Minuses?
1. Still no sexual chemistry between Winslet and Pearce. I realized last night that though Winslet is the Oscar winner and occupies the lead role; Pearce is much the better actor here. I see acting seams with Winslet. With Pearce, I'm watching a dissolute, insouciant Monty but with insights and understanding. I get Monty by fade-out and Pearce brings some redemptive qualities to his persona.
2. This movie does not have the look of the 1930s. From the street scenes to the clothes, it's crying out at least 10 years later. For example, while I'm not an expert on '30s clothes, I do know vintage knitting. Mildred wears an attractive green cardigan in one scene. You can see some of the interesting stitch work but it hangs open and loosely. 30s cardigans had a very fitted look - that's the reason I never make these patterns. Later, I noticed Letty in a Hooverette apron, definitely from the '30s, but that was an anomaly.
4. Veda has a great voice. Did I have to hear more than one song? Small point but it reminded me that I really don't like opera.
5. Winslet played this role in a dowdy fashion. No way can I believe, Monty is describing her when he talks about her great legs. With Joan Crawford as Mildred, you "feel" those legs.

Pluses?
1. As above, much better editing.
2. Also above, Pearce nailed Monty last night.
3. The exposition scene where Veda, Monty, Bert, Mildred, and many others are sitting around and Veda explains how she went from pianist to singer. It was pure talking but you, as unseen audience, are as interested in the story as the assembled cast.
4. Based on last night, with some expert trimming and use of witty dialogue (remember Eve Arden in the original?) to move the story along (so maybe it's dialogue not exactly from the book; how about the spirit of the book?) this might have been a top-notch movie.

And what I really learned but also already knew: With a well-run publicity machine, the Emperor's new clothes can still be found and admired in movie land.

Watch Parts 4 and 5 of Mildred Pierce. You'll get your money's worth.

See you next Monday.

No comments: