Monday, April 25, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday

Things, they are a changin'.

Now, I realize that successful capitalism is a Ponzi scheme; you have to convince a vast amount of people that they need and want stuff, a lot of stuff.

Movies are no different. You have to convince millions of people that they want to get in their cars, drive to a movie theater, perhaps gorge at the concession stands on more calories than they should have in a week and then sit for up to 3+ hours, perhaps in a climatically uncomfortable room filled with squeals, shouts and chatter and watch a movie.

Movie PR people have to do a lot of fancy tap dancing to convince the public that week after week, year after year, this is all worth it.

Enter the movie infomercial. Perhaps I was asleep at the switch before but, as I said last week, it was during a Water for Elephants half-hour TV program that I realized all the show was missing was George Foreman hawking his grill (which really wasn't that bad, BTW.)

I heard how great the screen writer, directors, actors......everybody involved with this project was. Geniuses all! Working on this film was one big MENSA party. Great brains, great fun, great product.

And then, like the heroine in Working Girl, I read another blurb about the movies (watch WG and you'll see what I mean): Peter Jackson and others were protesting a new plan to send movies to DVDs about a week after their release. No more lead time so build word of mouth; if you flop at the box office on opening weekend, you're shipped off in a jewel case.

And all this got me thinking: I'm a pretty fair critic of movies but I'm watching them in an ideal setting. No squirming in my seat for 3 hours. No missing a section for a bathroom break. No inability to multitask while watching.

Perhaps, that's why I, unlike so many professional critics can give Robert Pattinson a break. I liked Remember Me. I really like How To Be. (In fact, I think the 2nd movie is his genre: laconic, confused, 1960's rebel, dry wit, fucked-up, messy.)

When I look at movies, I'm comfortable and happy like a warm puppy. Perhaps, that's why I would rate Cassandra's Dream much higher than the 46% on Rotten Tomatoes and How To Be higher than the audience reaction (not enough critics saw it for their rating to be recorded) of 54%.

Which all brings me back to capitalism, the Ponzi scheme and the movies. Decry though I may, for the foreseeable future, capitalism is here to stay. And with it, that very profitable, very large industry called the movies is also.

But perhaps, it's time for the means of distribution to change. Perhaps it's time for only a few movies to land in the movie houses. Perhaps most should be made for near-immediate DVD release. Perhaps, the home viewer should become the movie critic.

Just an idea. Enjoy.

No comments: