Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich


Website Wednesday

Apparently, the entire knitting world is trying to duplicate a shawl Kate Middleton wore food shopping in England and I must admit that my addiction for the last few days has been following Ravelry postings on this subject.

Plus, I'm really enjoying my Harvard video course (online, of course) on Shakespeare's later plays (Measure for Measure at the moment) and my University of Houston course on the Enlightenment poets.

The girl said something which had me thinking on Saturday. She has always been interested in medicine; first it was animal operations then people operations. She was fearless with this type of stuff from a very young age. So, I thought she might be interested in some video courses and I hooked her up with an Anatomy course, thinking to leave the Dissection course for later. I walked away from the computer as the lecturer was saying as she opened a box: Oh yes, there's a brain in here. Minutes later, she had stopped watching and I thought: Finally something too gross for her? But when I questioned her, she said: She (the lecturer) talked too much.

And that got me thinking: When did the modality of learning through lecturing start? I'm thinking the Middle Ages and I'm envisioning it as an extension of the priest's sermon when he tells his congregation what they should believe. After all, we know the Socratic method of engaging the student in the learning process so this was probably not the modality from ancient Greece.

Just a thought, but I think I'll research it. Just as soon as I'm done with Shakespeare. Oh, and before I get to my website picks: Troilus and Cressida is a hard read. This may be Shakespeare's most anti-heroic play and divergent thoughts are flying wild.

My picks this week have a design theme. I like to see creative designs and Yay Everyday:

http://www.yayeveryday.com/

fits that bill. I can't find an About for this so click around for a wild design ride. There are all sorts of links to designer blogs, some in languages I can't understand but all worth a look.

From Up North:

http://www.fromupnorth.com

is : a design blog focusing on delivering high quality design inspiration to creatives all over the world.

Also very interesting stuff here. You won't be bored.

And finally, be bored with Press The Space Bar:

http://www.zimm-co.com/PressTheSpaceBar/pressthespacebar2000.html

That's all you do. But be sure to click on your score. Those pages are pretty clever.

Not much reading this week but good places for creative ideas. Enjoy.

No comments: