Friday, May 27, 2011


Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

Joe Zee, the creative director of Elle magazine, has a reality-type show called All On The Line on the Sundance channel. Now, I'm not a fan of reality show (confession time: I did suffer one season of Project Runway) but I like this show. Not so much for what he's trying to teach his "pupils" but for what he's teaching me.

The premise of the show is that Joe uses his years of experience in the fashion design business to help new designers or older designers who have lost their "hotness" or good designers who just haven't been able to make a splash in the business. It's not all smooth sailing or happy endings and I know that there is editing for dramatic effect.

Designers are creative people and their ego can get ahead of their talent but Joe meets the challenges with good grace. And what has he taught me? To stretch. OK, that might sound trite but I've always considered myself a creative person, not an artistic one. That is, I can load the needles with stitches and produce a praise worthy garment but being creative, I can then reload those needles a thousand times and reproduce the same garment. An artistic person, I believe, makes the one-of-a-kind product.

So, in honor of Joe Zee, i present my first "stretch":

Wow, you say, it's a top-down summer tank. How original! But the pattern is different. I used a Japanese Pierrot lace stitch and modified it to work as *K1, YO, SSK, YO2TOG, YO, K1*
I know, it's a simple 6 stitch pattern but I'm writing out the pattern for next week.
So, thank you Joe Zee. Now, I'm looking at the zillions of skeins I got for my b-day/Valentine's Day present and I really think I'm going to go something artistic, not creative, this time.

See you next week. All On The Line has a new episode on Sundance every Tuesday at 10 pm.


Oh, what's with the $5 bill? That's for scale. I hope it's effective since my husband insists I know nothing about scale. This is 2011 so, in the future, if they shrink that bill, I guess the scale changes.

No comments: