Friday, November 25, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

I was an absolute waste this week re: blogging since family health issues, school half-days and gobble-gobble day took up all my time. So I thought: Let's not make the week a total waste. Let's blog on Black Friday when the whole nation is sitting home, drinking coffee and reading my blog.

But before I get to my very, very short knitting blog, if you have Verizon cable TV, this weekend you get Starz and Encore free (channels 340 to 362 in NJ) and tonight you get to see LOTR, all three movies, without commercial interruption (that means you don't pee for 9+ hours.) I'm sure there will be other noteworthy but all three LOTR!!!! Wow!'

On to knitting. Hubby wants a second scarf and he decided on the color and the pattern (deep brown and a flat stockinette stitch with twisted stitches throughout.) It's coming along very nicely and I'm using the needles recommended on the yarn, US 6. So I'm getting a chance to try out my US 6 in the Harmony from the Knit Picks sampler pack (US 6, 7, 8 in wood, plastic and nickel, 2 different-sized cables for $20.) and I'm loving these wood needles. Really sharp.

But I wasn't that happy with my cast on so I thought: What about an I Cord CO? Which brought me to the following Berroco site which I want to recommend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl550vquOCY

After practicing with the video and using her cast on of 4 stitches, I wasn't pleased with the thickness of the I Cord. You really don't want an I Cord that's "in your face" at the bottom of a scarf. So, still following her directions I only cast on 2 stitches. And, when I got to the required stitches (the pattern CO stitch number) I only made one extra stitch (the video says make 3 extra stitches.) Then I took that extra stitch and the last required stitch back to the left needle and knitted them together (the video has you taking 4 stitches back to the LN and K2tog two times.) The video's bind off gave the I Cord a bump I didn't like.

Another observation I had: you have to use straight needles or two circs (trust me on this) and you seem to be able to make the I Cord on the same size needle as you need for the pattern. Maybe you could even go down one size but not up. I'm planning on making the I Cord bind off on two stitches to match the CO. I haven't even tried this process yet so if I get to 65" and discover it ain't goin' to work and my scarf ends aren't matching, you will hear my primal scream wherever you are.

Enjoy your shopping, eating leftovers, whatever, today. Happy Knitting.

No comments: