Friday, April 13, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday - The Saga of Super-wash Wool

I always feel the guilt when I miss a day of posting as I did this Wednesday. I know I should just look at some blogs which have been dormant for months, even years, but I still feel guilty.

My sleeveless yellow top of KAL fame is now frogged and reborn as a winter, openwork, lace, crocheted, very large scarf. (Picture was in last Friday.) I decided not to block it since DH says it has a three dimensional look this way and with shawl pins almost all large scarves "pop."

A very good knitting website to check out is the one from Knitting Daily at http://www.knittingdaily.com

It's an easy registration to join, just e-mail and a password, and be sure to download their 40 Favorite Tips & Techniques for Knitters of All Levels eBook. They really mean all levels. I I consider myself an experienced knitters but I'm gaining some new insights from every tips.

I like Knitting Daily and it's one of the two knitting apps on my iPad (the other is Lion Brand.) I go to Lion Brand for patterns and stitches but I like to read the postings on KD.

And now, on to super-wash wool. There's an old story about the Japanese soldier hiding in a cave after WWII and not knowing that the war had ended for years. Well, I know the feeling; it's the way I feel about super-wash wool. Like I know it existed and I know you can wash it in a machine without having it felt (you can even use warm water.) But in my ignorance, I didn't know that you couldn't splice the ends together. I should have known that since splicing really is micro felting, but I was a dummy.

That is, I was a dummy until last week when I decided to start a sweater using Knit Picks Swirl DK and reached the point when skein A had to be joined to skein B. Well, it's not quite true that super wash doesn't splice. I got the ends to join but the look is horrible. You could use the join in a bobble in the trinity stitch but it looks lousy in a straight stockinette stitch. Tail between my legs, I posted my problem on Ravelry and immediately got responses: No, dummy (they really didn't say that), you can't splice super-wash. One Raveler suggested a braided join which I googled and then worked up. It does produce a good strong join (and it's fun to practice summer camp braiding) but I still wouldn't use it in a flat stitch pattern.

But from my research on super-wash wool it looks like they chemically coat the wool to prevent felting and therefore also splicing. So my little mind thinks: What if I were to boil some water and dip the ends of the yarn in it. Could I dissolve the chemical treatment?

And that's where I'd headed right now. To the kitchen to microwave a cup of water to boiling and then dip in two ends of the super-wash wool.

Let me leave you with this knitting cliffhanger: Will she be successful or will she sink deeper into knitting depression? The answer next Friday.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: