Monday, April 16, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday

I'm thinking that the 2012 US presidential election could be a doozy.
You have a black man whose biggest 4-year accomplishment is that he saved capitalism against the archetypal Republican white man: rich with a rich wife and no clue nor care about those pesky parts of the voting public. You know, the poor, minorities, the progressive; all those not into dressage.

Taking a tip from Ulysses, I'm still voting for "No Man" on the presidential level. I'm sure I'll get a lot of pressure to vote Obama before the election. I just can't see why I should. After all, is he really the last great "white" hope? Every time the Republicans demand half the pie; he ups the ante backwards and gives them the whole damn thing.

My movie review this week is of Moneyball. A very solid biopic of the rebirth of the Oakland A's at early part of this century with superb acting by Brad Pitt, Jonah Parker, Philip Seymour Hoffman and others.

I know very little about baseball and less about the Oakland A's but except for minor points, I was able to follow and enjoy the story. Of course, there were those melodramatic moments as when the A's blew an 11 run lead and were about to lose their phenomenal winning streak at game 19. You had the cut shots, the stirring music, the whole 9 yards but by then you were invested in the actors. An investment which never occurred for me in the award-winning A King's Speech. Moneyball is how AKS should have been but then why should it have bothered? Hollywood awards seem to loves the pedestrian.

This is a good movie for sports and non-sports types. It's telling a story not selling a metaphor, something that is very rare in movies based on real incidents not screenwriters' dreams.




No comments: