Monday, April 30, 2012

 Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday

I just may blather today because I have..........nothing. What's with my movie package selections this week? Usually I get one new movie I can rant or rave about. But this week it was repeat segments of The Road: a movie well-worth seeing but one I can only watch in segments (I shudder every time the father sees the big house on the hill and they decide to explore); Eclipse: Jacob's actor still had lousy skills in this movie. Oh, the cringing he put me through! Plus, what the hell I am doing watching a teen girl flick again?; and of course, LOTR, TTT: that trilogy is bonded in my heart (I have no idea what that means, perhaps I should write it in a poem.)

But I do have something substantial for you this Monday because I also re-watched Hitchcock's The Trouble with Harry. Filmed in 1955 in beautiful, vivid color (which was a trademark of Hollywood in that decade but unlike this movie, a trashy, garish trademark) it tells an idyllic tale of young love and old love with a pursuing sheriff, a bumbling MD, and a little boy set in a bucolic small USA town. Oh yes, then there's the dead Harry, who is the plot pivot. Hitchcock's touch is perfection with this movie. It's witty, racy, dark, cuttingly funny; it's so good that it's almost impossible to review without writing a tome. For TTWH is really one big MacGuffin but it's so charmingly done. It's like if typical Hitchcock is naturalistic author Thomas Hardy (Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Jude the Obscure) then this Hitchcock movie is romantic/realistic author, Henry James (The Americans, Portrait of a Lady) but without all the boring, yawn inducing prose for which James found such fondness. Interesting fact from Wikipedia: TTWH was unavailable for 30 years until Hitchcock bought back the rights.

OK, I know you're saying: That last paragraph was substantial? No, it's the following link that is:


At this site, you will get to see 21 Hitchcock movies for free. (When the movie appears, click the rightmost bottom icon to view full screen.) You get a lot of his silent work but also, Shadow of a Doubt, Spellbound, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934 version and so much better than the Doris Day/Jimmy Stewart remake), Sabotage and Secret Agent, among other classics. (The last two movies have heart-breaking scenes involving dogs.)

OK, got to go and start looking for movies with a vengeance. I only have 7 days until next Monday. Perhaps it is time for Netflixs...............

No comments: