Friday, January 18, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
 Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
Talk about a total snafu. I'm half-way through writing this post today, with pictures no less, when I discover that the directions I'm giving you for wrapping and turning do not match one of the pictures I have as an illustration. Yes, the cats out of the bag, I was going to do a mini-lesson on my new BFF, the wrap and turn procedure. I had been practicing that procedure for an eternity with very frustrating results but last week - I got it!
 
#1 fullness at middle top
I love wrapping and turning! For those who don't use it or know about it, wrap and turn (w & t) means you work short rows. That is, you work just so many stitches in a row of stitches and then you turn your work around and work back to the beginning of the row. #1 shows the fullness you get with these short rows:
 
You could use this for more fullness in the bodice area, socks, or this shawl (Night Bird Scarf) found here:
 
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10316.html?noImages=

It's Lion Brand pattern so you have to register but it's easy and free. These shawl directions just say to knit a number of stitches and turn. There is no mention of wrapping a stitch, which would be the first stitch on the left needle where you turn. I know you don't have to wrap stitches with textured yarns but this shawl is shown in plain yarn. With plain yarn in stockinette you'll get a hole where you turn. So when I make it, I'm going to wrap and turn - because, now I can!

But enough about the wrap and turn procedure before it becomes really confusing. I'm just going to take that one  correct picture and post the directions next week.

Since I planned to talk about wrap and turn today, I don't have a lot extra for this week. But I do have a final picture of the blue top I was making as a prototype of the New Year's Shrug because I wanted to practice on that lace/cable pattern. The New Year's shrug can be found here:

 
I hope you got this pattern when it was free because it's a great stitch but now it will cost you $2.
 
#2 New Year's Shrug pattern
 #2 shows the blue top and you can see I worked the NY shrug's lace/cable pattern, starting from the top, as one repeat, then two, then three. I have no idea why I did that but it did seem like a good idea at the time. This is my ubiquitous top-down top pattern (which I love.) However, since I make prototypes first in this blue 25% wool yarn, I now have 4 tops and one cardigan done in this yarn. I am such a scaredy cat about making a garment the first time in good yarn!
#3 NY Shrug prototype

That's why I'm now working on #3 which is another prototype. This time it really is the New Year's Shrug but in DK yarn. I wanted to make the prototype first because the directions have you knitting a rectangle and then sewing up each side for the short sleeves. Since I'm soooo lazy, I started with the sleeve in the round and in seed not garter. In #3, the part on the needles (top) shows my working towards the body of the shrug. The part at the bottom is the joined sleeve so I'll have no sewing up later.
 
#4 You can see the seed ribbing
#4 shows at the bottom seed ribbing better. Plus you can see that I'm continuing the seed borders throughout the shrug. (The original borders are worked in garter.)

Well, that's all the pictures I took since I never thought I wouldn't be talking about wrap and turn today.

I know I promised a finished picture of the shawl which was only a tiny piece last week but that will have to wait for two weeks now since next week is w & t. However, I'm wearing that shawl as I type (so warm and cozy) and I have two more in the works.

Happy knitting. See you next week.

#5 Miss L is leaving in 13 days
P.S. 13 more days before Miss L leaves us to start the second phase of her Seeing Eye training. She is going on to do needed work but it's very sad.
 


No comments: