Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
 Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday
 
I'm thinking about the worth of the human species today and also shopping for a Vera Bradley bag on sale. What a multi-tasker I am!
 
Last night, iPad snug on pillows, earphones securely placed and functioning, I listened to, and slept through, Lynn Hunt from UCLA start an excellent course on modern civilization. Here's the link, if you are interested: (The first lecture starts with some bad audio which doesn't last long.)
 
 
I clicked the course because the French Revolution was listed as the first course. It wasn't there however, though I did get hear a slant on modern history which was very enlightening. I guess you could say she made me think differently and more deeply about modern societies. Unfortunately, I have a feeling my education is going to be spotty with these lectures because it looks like we skip from lecture 1 to lecture 5 and then to lecture 10. Oh well, you can't have everything.
 
But from her lecture, I got to thinking about that last line in Candide again. You know, this one:  "Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden." and I finally went to the most reliable site for knowledge on the web, Wikipedia, (snark alert) and discovered that I was wrong (once again.) Just because Candide deals with a young, naive man, it was not written in Voltaire's youth (how did I get that impression?) but when he was 71.

So now I have the choice of viewing that last line as satire or the resigned ennui of an old, tired philosopher.

Therefore, I'm happy I stumbled on Professor Hunt's course at UCLA since I finally cleared up one puzzle.

Listen to the first Hunt lecture if you can. You'll have to listen through some of the "must-do" list for the students in the room but she rapidly gets into her subject.

On to a wacky Wednesday pick first:
 
 
Time for a confession first: I love to look at house floor plans. OK, I know it's nutty but I get, perhaps, a football watcher's joy from looking at them and thinking: Oh, I would make that the family room and move the bedroom here.........

I have no idea how I got onto this Beazer home site abvoe but if you click on the Community Website link for each development in NJ you will be sent to the floor plans of their homes!

I know there are better floor plan sites out there but most of them want specifics from you as to the square footage, the # of baths, bedrooms, garages, etc. you are looking for. Here, it's all laid out for you. Joy is only one, the most two, clicks away. (P.S. I warned you it was a wacky pick.)
 
 
On a visceral level, the above nihilistically barren site appeals to me. (Click the link below to get an assorted of Bruggemann's work.)
 
 I have no idea what I think about Stefan Bruggemann, a Mexico City born artist, photographer, philosopher, all three??, but his works are definitely worth the visit. You can never go wrong by looking at art "out of the box."


And finally in keeping with this "going all over the map" Website Wednesday, (did I have too much coffee this a.m?), let me end with:


which describes itself with the four Cs: Curious, Cute, Comical, Crazy and says about itself: 22 Words is your source for 10-12 crazy, curious, cute, and comical posts a day. The content here is a blend of the viral hits you need to see to keep up with everyone else on the web and more obscure (but equally awesome) pictures, videos, articles, and more. Our goal is to inspire equal parts WTF, OMG, LOL, and Awwwwww… (Disclaimer: Their About section sounds very familiar but I can't find this site among my long list of previous picks so I'm going to assume it's a new pick, though we all know what assuming does to us.)

It's a current website with a variety of photos, cartoons, short captions  and very little verbiage. One thing I learned fast from this site: seals have ferocious looking teeth. These fellas are not cuddly puppies.

That's it for today. I think there's something here for everyone. See you next Wednesday.

 




 
 


 
 

No comments: