Friday, February 15, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings   Tax the Rich 

Knitting Friday 

Fast and furious today because I must leave soon, I woke up late, and I don't type that fast.

Remember the piece of shawl which I showed last week (#1):
#1 What is was
#2 What is
I had started it from the curlicue scarf. That little, little piece of shawl in #1 did become a shawl but then I realized it was just not going to work. It's one thing to make a garment which you know is only for house use. It's other thing to make one you don't even want to wear in the house. So, using the power of the google, I found this:
#3 Won't rotate
And I made the shawl on the right (#2), which I love. Picture #3, which won't rotate, shows the back of the shawl. It was such a fast and easy crochet. You work from the top down and you make two triangles on the bottom, neither of which stands out with the ruffles I made; and I'm happy with that. Some tips:
1. Be sure to count your stitches on the first 3 rows (They're given to you.)
2. Be sure to crochet into the double crochet before the Ch-2 space since you can miss that one. The one after the space is easier to see.
3. One new thing I learned with crocheting. As you are working a row, the horizontal top of your stitch (which you will be working in) comes before the vertical post of the same stitch.
    _  (this is the top of your stitch you will work into)
   l   (this is its vertical post)
Crocheting towards the left you reach the horizontal top post first 
Sounds too simple to be important but, knowing that, helped me.
4. Put a long strand of yarn in the top of the beginning and ending Ch-3 since that top gets 2 DCs at the end of every row.
#4 Right side

Finally, remember I said that I didn't like the look when you had color changes in garter. So I worked up this swatch (#4) and it reads: 1. picot CO, 2. garter, 3. seed, 4 & 5. lace, 6. seed (I think), and 7 & 8 are garter. I changed the colors in every section. Here's the wrong side (#5):
# 5 Wrong side

I think the color changes work in every section except from 7 to 8, both of which are garter. For me, that extra line of blue in the coral takes away from the reversibility of the shawl, especially if you have a lot of color changes. As I said last week, if you plan to work your increases at the edges, you can incorporate any 2 stitch pattern (K1, P1 or YO, K2tog) for the two rows where you make your color changes.
 Got to go. It's almost 7 am. I am soooo late. See you next week.




 


   




 

No comments: