Friday, September 13, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 


Knitting Friday 

No pictures today. My picture man headed for north NJ in the middle of the week so I had pics but no one to upload them on Thursday night as usual. If you recall, my camera which was supposed to be such an easy upload, turned out too complicated (I don't intend to break that tiny chip!) for my small technological brain.

But I do have a lot of links, starting with my new love, socks:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-knit-tube-socks 

OK, sock purists are probably laughing their socks off when they click this link since these are the orphans of the sock world: tube socks. I'm a lousy, really lousy, sock knitter so I'm hoping with a ribbed tube even I will get a wearable fit this time.

Here's a Barbizon scarf (lace sampler )from Lion Brand: 

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternRating.cgi?showReview=1&itemKey=1922244598 

This is the scarf I mentioned at the end of Wednesday's blog. Most LB patterns get some rants because of the confusing instructions but I'm into the second lace pattern on this scarf and it seems well-written. I'm using Scheepjeswol from Holland (no idea where I got it) which I would list as sport or very light DK with US 11 needles. It's knitting up fast and the lace is "popping". You work the lace patterns in a continuous line so there are no "K 4 rows" instructions between patterns. At present, the patterns seem to line up (one *yo, K1, yo* is carried from Pattern 1 into Pattern 2) but I don't know if this will continue. I'm working K2 each side for the edging though the pattern calls for 2 seed stitches. As with all stockinette, there is a slight roll in which I'll fix with blocking. The K2 makes a pretty edging and I don't know if a K4 (which would probably fix the rolling) would give it a too-defined "Oh, look, it's garter." edge look.

Then there's the Downton Abbey Sampler Scarf: 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/downton-abbey-sampler-scarf 

I really admire the work and thought which went into this free pattern though I'm not a DA watcher. But, as I'm "hot" to try a sampler scarf, this pattern may be in my future. Changes I know I'd make: 1. No K rows between patterns. I'd let them flow like the Barbizon Scarf. (This may not work; I see swatching ahead) and 2. It will be all one color. Though very few knitters used one color (it's supposed to be different color/different pattern for each DA character), I liked their scarves best.

For crocheters, here's the Augusta Shawl: 

http://fairmountfibers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Manos-del-Uruguay-F38-Augusta-Shawl.pdf 

It's a very easy pattern (only one row) with an excellent crochet chart especially for the newbie to chart reading. And yes, I do have mods: 1. I would work it in only one color, 2. I would work all chain 2s between stitches and no chain 1s. If you follow the second mod, be sure to mark the center stitch which is the space with 2 dc, ch2, 2 dc. (Only the center stitch has this configuration.) and 3. I would end each row with a triple crochet and not a double crochet and begin each row with a chain 4 and not a chain 3 for more stretch.

With Mod #2 (chain 2s), you get a crescent/half-circle shape instead of a triangle, which is a preference for me. This is an easy crochet shawl; great for beginners wanting to spread their wings (using only one color may be helpful here) or more advanced crafters looking for a fast, carry-along project.

And finally, another nod to Kriskrafter, the designer of the Gallatin Scarf I mentioned last week:

http://auntekristy.blogspot.com/2013/09/new-pattern-jefferson-scarf.html 

This week it's the Jefferson Scarf where she starts with the same principle of CO 4 at the beginning of every row and builds her design around this.

I'll leave you to ponder my present dilemma: Do I knit/crochet items of clothing with all my yarn or do I concentrate more on scarves, shawls, legacy items (blankets, etc.), and gifts? The former gives me an overabundance of wearable items which, with use, will "wear down" and/or go out of favor/fashion pretty fast. The latter allows for more creativity, a longer lifetime, but also more time spent folded on shelves. Because, until very recently, I was the only knitter/crocheter in the mufti-generations of my family (which is not a large one), I've given this a lot of thought. Don't have the answer yet, but I'm working on it.

That's it for today. See you next week. Happy knitting.




 

No comments: