Friday, September 6, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
I did a lot of needlework this week and most of it was knitting. Except for the Bernat Frenzy I'm working with. Frenzy, to save your sanity, must be crocheted. Well, truth be told, to save your sanity, you should really leave Frenzy in the Dollar Store bin (guess how much each skein cost?) and not take it home in mass quantities because it was a bargain. But, I digress. More on the Frenzy next week.
 
First, I'm going to start with another Eureka! moment I had this week.  I learned a new way to bind off. Again, truth be told, I always knew of this method because deep in my brain whenever I get to the bind off part of knitting and I angst over whether I will have enough yarn to work the bind off row (it takes more than a regular knitting row) I remember there is a method of binding off without using any yarn. And last week, a fellow Raveler linked to a YouTube explaining it and now, I will never, ever forget this method.
#1 No Yarn Bind Off
 
 You really don't need a video to figure this method out. Here's what I would recommend:
1: Use circular needles (you'll see why)
2. Work your last row before your bind off row as loosely as possible.
3. When you are ready to bind off, slide your stitches to the other end of the circular needle so the working yarn is on the opposite end.
4. Slip the first two stitches from the left needle tip at this non-working yarn end onto the right tip of the circ. (I slip as to purl.)
5. Take the first stitch you slipped over the second stitch and off the needle (your first bind off.)
6. Take another stitch from the left tip to the right tip (two stitches on the right tip now) and bring the first stitch on the right tip over this new stitch and off the needle as before. (second bind off.)
7. Repeat Step 6 until you have one stitch remaining and you have arrived at your working yarn.
8. Cut this yarn and weave it through the last stitch to secure it.

That's it. As you can see in pic #1, if you worked your last pattern row loosely, you will have a normal bind-off. It can't be a very loose one however because you're not working with any new yarn. But, as the picture shows, this method works. I love it!
 
Now, you're probably thinking: What is that stitch pattern in #1?
 
It's the Madison Scarf:
 

#2 different look Madison Scarf
It's so nice and simple where you start with a cast on of 4 stitches and just keep casting on for length and width. Of course, I had to modify but the modification is really simple: I just made a rectangle by casting on all my stitches at once and then I followed the pattern except for the cast on of 4 stitches every row. This makes for a less interesting knit but you get a different shape.

The scarf I really like by this designer is the Gallatin Scarf:


That one goes from lace to solid but I'm thinking about making this one all in lace as I would with one of my generic "work to length, then work to width" shawls. I started this pattern in Frenzy which was a bad choice. Next week, I hope to have a picture of the Gallatin scarf in red DK. (P.S., in pic #2, you're looking at another no-yarn bind off.)

Also this week, I worked a swatch of the pattern from Lila's legwarmers:

#3 Lila's legwarmers

for the possibility of using it in a sweater or scarf/shawl. I love this pattern, especially the lateral braid. You're looking at the full pattern (about 20 rows). I had to do some slight modifications because LL is written for round knitting and some of the pattern rows were on the wrong side for flat knitting.

The one bit of crocheting I did this week is another Sherbet Wrap:


# 4 Sherbet Wrap, yummy
in pink frogged lace. Probably because it was frogged (and slightly crinkly) I just couldn't work a foundation single crochet cast on. So I did a foundation double crochet. I have to remember to repeat this type of row at my bind off. Here's a picture:

This should be finished by next week as should my modified Sherbet Wrap in Frenzy. Pictures then.

OK, that's it for today. Happy knitting.


 
 
 
 

No comments: