Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday and no Knitting Friday this week 
 
A quick explanation re no Knitting Friday this week: Starting tomorrow, I'm getting 24 hours of aide help for DM and there are major, major chores I must do. So, once I post today, I'm just clearing my mind, getting all the needed supplies together (cleaning stuff, boxes, strong muscles), readying my body for some major grunt work and shutting down my brain for a bit.

Living in NJ, I guess I should mention yesterday's Gov election. Our current one, Chris Christie, was reelected. His campaign promise of finishing the job he started must mean, (since his 4-year ago promise to lower property taxes is no longer even on the radar), that he will continue to bully his perceived "enemies" and use NJ as his jumping board to a Republican presidential nomination.
 
His re-election is no surprise since shamefully our state Democrats only gave lukewarm support to their candidate, Barbara Buono ("The Obama administration declined to deploy its best political weapons against Christie, while Buono struggled to earn the support of her party's most devoted supporters. The Democratic Governors Association spent less than $5,000 on the contest while pouring more than $6 million into the Virginia election." HP, 11/6/13) who came across as a bright, articulate, progressive woman. Wait a minute. This is Jersey. A bright, articulate, progressive woman as governor? No way!

OK, so I'm still obsessed with my diet and at:

 
I really like the way they present recipes. Great pictures and great walk-throughs. Oh So Pretty looks like a fun site. Be sure to click around. 
 
I still seem to gravitate to graffiti as you can see with this pick:


Graffart presents graffiti from around the world. Be sure to click on the right column of Archives for some great examples. As an American, we're told "Get the mop and wash away that graffiti." Apparently, not all the world has this narrow view.

Here's an example of the very short graphic novel:


Start with this fishing story and then click here:


Most of the written stories are hokey with uplifting messages but a lot of the picture tales are worthwhile. Two things I realized from a fast skim: 1. In spite of the montage of a deer eating a biscuit from a humans' mouths, this is a very bad idea.  2. Baby polar bears are adorable.

And finally:


This page from So Bad So Good shows you vintage anti-Communist propaganda posters which we probably should never forget since today, long after the Soviet Union re-became Russia, commenters on political blogs will accuse one another of being a Commie as if appellation still makes sense. Beyond the wacky propaganda, I'm amused that way back then (the movie shown is from 1949) they were using sexy women to make their point.

Athttp://sobadsogood.com/ , they say you will get the best and worst of the web. I haven't discovered the bad yet but I have to admit that the pictured friendship between the joey and the baby wombat even melted my cold, cold heart.

That's it for this week. Now it's time to start the workout to get ready for the grunt work I will be doing in the next two days....... Nah! I think I'll just eat bon-bons all day.

See you next Wednesday.










 

No comments: