Friday, January 31, 2014

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
 Knitting Friday
 
Really fast posting today because I am intrigued by this pattern:
 
 
which is a German pattern which someone kindly translated into English. It's a knit-in-the-round cowl which I want to work as a flat knitted scarf and I think the pattern is very adaptable except the directions (while easy) are quirky for an English-speaking brain and I think Row 9 has an error; you need a second YO to balance the increases and decreases.
 
Anyway, I'm pretty excited about working a swatch. The excitement coming from the fact that I got my first good night's sleep in a week last night so I'm not feeling like a limp dish rag. (Just what does that mean? Dish rags are limp.)
 
Plus the fact that my diet is working and the mirror no longer shows me the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Less food, more energy.
 
So I'm a little hyper instead. Who can blame me? DM got a Nebulizer treatment yesterday to combat her coughing which leads to her inability to breathe. The treatment went well but minutes after it ended, she went into shock. Thank goodness the hospice nurse was here; I provided the blankets and oxygen; she got the benadryl. Unfortunately, medication is like "if you give a mouse a cookie" but not in a good way.
 
But I did manage to tweak my scarf pattern and made two versions of it. The first was with Wool Ease and on US 9 needles.
#1 My scarf in Wool Ease
Since I didn't know how much yarn I would need, I only cast on 26 stitches with 6 of them being edge stitches so it's pretty thin. On this one I worked the pattern in stockinette and then in garter (as I described last week), alternating the two at random. You can see the right and wrong side of it done this way in #1. I think it's presentable especially with a shawl pin but I learned you need a much wider K edge for this pattern to prevent curling.
 
On the second one, I used Red Heart with Wool which is DK weight and a US 11 needle. With this much wider scarf, (but only 34 stitches with a 5 stitch garter border each side),  I only worked the stockinette version of the pattern because, though I thought stockinette would curl badly, it doesn't. Due to the larger needles and larger side borders? Also, all the decreases were in K2tog unlike the pattern I posted last week; so much easier.
#2 RS of Change Scarf

I'm pretty pleased with both sides of this scarf (#2 & 3) probably because the pattern (including the edging) gives you 16 stitches in knit on the wrong side. Maybe that stops the curl. Here's the pattern as I used in pictures #2 and 3:
 
Change Scarf:
Cast on: Multiple of 4 + edge stitches (I did 5 K stitches each side.) as a Picot Cast On (see last week for directions.) Needle size: US 11 but you decide. As you can see from my examples, needle size does change the look. Needle type: Sharp points as with Lace Tools: Row counter
#3 WS of Change Scarf


R1: edge sts, *K2tog (2xs), YO (2x)* edge sts
R 2 & 4: edge sts *P* but at the double YO, P the 1st one and K the 2nd; edge sts.
R 3: edge sts, *YO (2xs), K2tog (2xs)* edge sts
 
Work these 4 rows to length and then bind off with a Picot Cast Off. (See last week.)
 
You'll find that you memorize this pattern quickly and it's a very good pattern for laying down/picking up without any problems.
 
And finally, this is what the red/cooper yarn, which I used last week as a prototype for my Change Scarf, morphed into:
#4 No Beginning Chain Lace Scarf.

This is a good "marriage" for it, finally.

Here's the pattern:

 
As you can see, it says "blanket" but just cast on fewer stitches for a scarf.
That's it for this week. See you next Friday. Happy Knitting.
 
 

No comments: