Friday, August 7, 2009

Knitting Friday

I awakened this a.m., cut up a watermelon, put on the coffee, fried an onion, added chopped bacon and frozen hash browns. (Bought a Wegmanns, no fats, no nothing, just hash browns-to-be and I guess whatever is needed to make them stay white.)

Big deal, you say, That’s called making breakfast. OK, but I did it at 4 a.m. and except for the watermelon and coffee which I would consume then, everything else would wait for the patter of little feet. So, I am all coffeed up by this hour. Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.

I still have not come up with my pithy health care bon mot. All I have is: National Health Care Now. Which I may have to run with if the brain cells keep sleeping.

I’ve been watching the staged protests to any health care town hall meetings the congressmen-in-recess are having. Rather spooky to see people screaming and shouting down discourse. When did Americans get so stupid? Or scared? We seem to live in fear of the “they” which we believe is always poised ready to harm us.

But on to knitting. Or throwing out. For that is what I did this week. Any knitter, any crafts person, reading this knows how difficult the throwing out is. The mind of a crafter can rationalize anything: But if only I add buttons, or flowers, or the American flag....... They can always find a reason to salvage. That’s why I threw it in the waste basket; emptied the basket in the trash; and didn’t look bad.

And what you ask did I abandon to the landfill? It was a shrug. I have made only one successful shrug in my entire knitting career and that one was admired so I gave it My latest bright idea for a shrug is a long rectangle with cuffs. Nothing original in that, However, I learned with my recent throw-away that I can’t do this with a short sleeve shrug. It just looks yucky. (Disclaimer: I did make the throw-away in cheap yarn since it was a prototype and I didn’t want use my good yarn on a sample. This may have contributed to the lousy look.) I’m beginning to think that I and shrugs don’t mesh . However, I recently saw a picture of a freebie shrug online and it was obvious that the neck was too big. (Also, did you ever notice that a lot of garments are shown only from the back or only from the front. OK, I’ll stop it; I’m not a conspiracy shrug theorist....... but do take a look at some pictures......)

However, I am going to make one more attempt at the shrug. I will be using “good” yarn this time and it will be a long sleeved shrug knit cuff to cuff with no seaming - I hope. You may be able to hear my screaming if this one is a flop.

Rather than get out of this editing window and check what I promised from last Friday (and I know it's an easy to-do but I'm so lazy today); I’ll just wing it. The black cotton shawl is still OTN. I’ve made king-sized blankets faster. As I’ve said, the simplest patterns seem to stump me the most. First, I was frogging constantly when I hit Row 30, now I’m at Row 100 and the frogs are again croaking in full force. Thank goodness the yarn has the slightest bit of stickiness because a lifeline every other row is not practical.

But my pride this week is my brown lace shawl. I love Knit Picks lace. I remember being told that travelers should have a garment to warm their shoulders, be able to be folded into a pillow or be spread out for a blanket. Well, this shawl is it; and it’s so soft. The only thing missing: I don’t travel. Well, I do travel but they are talking about plane travel and I’m phobically afraid of heights. But it’s a damn nice shawl.

No pictures until it’s finished but here’s a recap of the pattern ( You can scroll down to a previous Knitting Friday for more information of the pattern.)

I’m using a K hook on Knit Pick Lace. I think this one will take about 1000 yards but I wanted this one big so I think you could make a nice shawl at 2 skeins (800+ yards.) I’m using the *“ch3 - 3 dc * cluster stitch and I’m knitting on the diagonal. Each cluster is 1" wide and 3/4" long. (But this a very stretchy shawl.) The shawl is 29 cluster wide for approximately a 29" width. The length will be my height, which I’ve read is recommended (Not my height, but the knitter’s height.) I may edge the entire shawl but I don’t think I have to. There is no need to block. (Hooray!) I don’t know why, but the shawl reminds me of a Goya picture (not The Third of May, one of the women.) I should be finished today so I’m post a finished picture next week.

And now, that I’ve been up 6 hours (awake at 3 a.m.; cooking at 4 a.m.) it’s time to get the proverbial move on.

Happy knitting.

No comments: