Friday, November 13, 2009


Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Knitting Friday

This is my 201st post. Wow! I'm impressed.

The wool has arrived from Knit Picks for the Mario blanket. However, the blanket has changed to this one:

http://www.spritestitch.com/?p=1226

For months, I was searching for a Mario blanket I could knit. As you know, I discovered I had no skill with intarsia but once I stumbled on Mario quilts I discovered so many possibilities; all of which I could knit, thanks to the mitered square.

Unfortunately, I measured and ordered wool for this Mario blanket which I posted last Friday and which is no longer my choice:

http://www.wiinintendo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/3773324169_2145459190.jpg

I'm happy that my final choice has a Mario with two feet on the ground but notice the absence of black in my final choice. I ordered 5 skeins of black wool based on my first Mario choice. Well, I've been meaning to make a black shawl for ages and I think the sport weight will be a good choice. However, I've been told that my Mario should have black hair and moustache not brown so some black wool will be used.

However, the good news is that it looks like my original Knit Picks order has right amount of skeins for my second choice blanket. I only have to order the face color since my original Mario had the same color for hands and face and my final Mario has white gloves. Plus, I've decided to make this into a rectangular blanket. (Remember I was going make a free-form Mario? What was I thinking?) So I have to order the traditional Mario background: blue for the sky and green for the grass.

Right now, I trying to finish up all my unfinished projects so I can concentrate on Mario. I finished a lace purple shawl which is a Christmas gift (pictures next week) and I'm on the last sleeve of my cardi/shrug. Also, I have to work a swatch in the Knit Picks wool since I wasn't able to do this before. So the swatch I used in deciding what to order from Knit Picks was in a cotton sport weight

My dread is that my Knit Picks swatch will show me that I need more yarn. That won't be a problem with the red shirt and hat or the brown boots and hair/moustache since they are in separate areas on Mario. But if I need more blue, I could be in big trouble. I guess I could just order a load more (8+ skeins) and use the 8 skeins I have for this Blue Jeans lace shawl:

http://ramblingdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/04/have-look.html

which is an easy knit.

OK, it's time for me to get back to my knitting since I'm in a time crunch right now. Not only is there a time crunch due to the upcoming holidays but there a time crunch in that I have to get this finished before the boy loses interest in Mario.

But I'll leave you with something I learned: Knit Picks colors on the Internet are not accurate but the written description which pops up when you click the color is very accurate.

For example, scroll down to Cardinal on this page:

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Telemark_Yarn__D5420152.html

Does that look like "true red" to you? It doesn't to me but the written description says it is; and it is.

Happy knitting.









No comments: