Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Website Wednesday

Well, this is probably another defining moment for the Obama administration. Joe Biden is in Israel looking for peace and the Israelis announce they are building more illegal settlements. Wow! What timing! Do you think they were trying to shove this in the face of the US? Do you think? Whatever. Let's see if the US does more than its usual "tsk, tsk" this time. You know how well this administration has handled health care reform so far. (Note: Folks, that last sentence was sarcasm. I know that sort of thing doesn't translate well on the web all the time.)

But on to Sara Teasdale. Did you ever hear of the poem, I Am Not Yours by Teasdale.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/i-am-not-yours-2/

I didn''t realize that Teasdale was so sensual. Maybe it was the name: Teasdale, like taking tea in the dale, a nice maiden lady. Was I wrong. This is not a poetry assignment for a 6th grader.

Me to the girl: Why did you choose this poem?
Girl: It was short.
Me: Did you teacher OK it?
Girl: Yes.

I'm sure the teacher (who is one fantastic English teacher) saw Teasdale's name as I did and thought: Oh, what a sweet choice.

But I must admit I had a blast analyzing this poem. I had forgotten how much fun it was to do something you were trained for. I even used Twilight to explain the "addiction."

Now, on to my website pick:

http://www.pandalous.com/

I have Paul Krugman to thank for this pick, or rather a commenter to one of Krugman's columns who linked to it. A lot of commenters will link to some lame website but Pandalous is a real find.

It says of itself:

We're a new, vibrant internet community with a growing membership; we've set out to gather a diverse, thoughtful, and articulate crowd to share in the experience of living.
Why Pandalous?
We found as we grew up that it was going to be more or less impossible to get all the people we missed talking to in the same room (or even the same country) on a regular basis; Pandalous is the living room we wished we had. Of course, being online, it’s part metropolis, part community. You’re very welcome to pull up a chair….
We hope you’ll stay a while and introduce yourself.

They talk about everything on Pandalous. I started reading a discussion of Caravaggio's Medusa. It's quite insightful. Or, how about: On Shakespeare and Lil' Wayne. Apparently, it's really not as antithetical as you might think.

Or how about a real life problem: How do I control my anger? A good discussion follows this question which branches out to tackle revenge and Montaigne. Plus, at the end of some topics you are directed to "siblings" of this topic with "This topic has the following siblings:"

This is definitely not a "rant and rave" discussion site. It's lively, thoughtful and diversely interesting. It's well worth a visit and a bookmark.

No comments: