Wednesday, March 17, 2010


"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Website Wednesday

I can't tell you much about this pictorial website:

http://www.etoday.ru/2010/03/ozhivshie-predmeti-terri-borde.php

I think the language may be Russian but pictures speak all languages. What's not to love about the current first picture? A metal frame of a a horse carrying a box of Trojans and....... Well, just take a look.

A banana, an egg, a candle, such simple objects but how they are used here. Take a look. Get a laugh, or smile. But be warned, some of them are not that simple to decipher - at least to me.

Here's another website:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/


I'm being pretty lazy today since I'm giving two choices of eye candy.

However, I do have an "About" with Cover Browser, which I can read!

Created in 2006, Cover Browser displays galleries of comic book (and book, pulp, games, DVD or magazine) covers for comic book fans like myself to explore & enjoy (there's also links to buy comics). At the moment, there are 455,613 searchable covers from 2,923 different series available. Most of the covers and associated data have been assembled using the nice Yahoo Image API, eBay, the Google Web Search API, the Amazon API, the Yahoo Term Extraction API, different homemade crawlers, and manual sorting. I'm also working with collections you send in or homemade scans.

This site really looks like a labor of love. It’s just a collection of book and magazine covers. I should really eliminate the “just” because it is a fascinating collection of covers.

I clicked on Girl’s Love Stories. Did girls read this stuff? I know, I’m judging a book/magazine by its cover, like a movie by its trailer. But, I’ll ask again: did girls really read this stuff?Working in a bridal shop, I dreamed of one day becoming Kirby’s bride.” or “It was only a game he was playing. He doesn’t love me. He never did.” And everyone is sooooo beautiful - and white. And they complain about Twilight!

There are current titles, like Harry Potter, but so many are a trip down memory lane, though it’s your grandparent’s (great-grandparents?, great-great grandparents?) lane. But it is fun to click “Pocket Books” for a look at really old (and really valuable) paperbacks

Or click Popular Library and see possibly the only black man - a very young Bill Cosby from an I Spy book. (Obviously, the segregation of the times carried into everything.)

OK, enough of my talking. You have two choices: witty, imaginative pictures or an exploration of popular culture from another age.
Both sites are worth return visits.

No comments: