Friday, March 19, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Alfred P. Doblin, a columnist in The Bergen Record (yes, even though they wish to be slickly known as The Record, they are incorporated as The Bergen Record) ends his column today on NJ's future with: We don't need to tax; we need to build.

WTF? Those two ideas are not antithetical. You can tax and build. You can build when you use the money wisely you get from those who can be taxed, the rich.

I am so tired to witty, TV bite phrases. Pithy does not put "bread on the table" nor solve problems.

And since I'm on a tear this a.m., I looked at two pictures from the scrolling picturama (I think I made that word up) on the left side of The Record website today.

Picture 1: 200 protest at Steve Rothman's office against health care reform. It's a sea of gray and white.

Picture 2: Union protesters march against NJ budget cuts. OK, we only see about five faces but they are all "minority."

Talk about a disconnect. Unfortunately, I don't know if the good guys are going to win this one. Let's not forget: Money talks, bullshit walks.

Now, that's a pithy saying.

Knitting Friday

Oh, this is excitement time! The service dog will arrive next Friday. She is a 9 week old golden lab and she will stay for a year and a half before she goes off to be trained and eventually be “of service.”

The kids are very excited. The house will need a thorough “pick up.” You can’t drop stuff on the floor without an immediate pick-up from now on unless you want to spend a lot of time at the vet for x-rays.

Caring for a service dog warms the cockles of my liberal progressive heart. Dogs are a part of the meme of the US; dogs are a very big part of our selfish meme: Have you priced doggy vet bills lately? But dogs are part of human psyche going back to the first feral puppy who charmed a caveman’s kid so he/she asked: Daddy, can I keep it? What better way for an interaction of species than the care of future service dogs?

And I promise, pictures will follow.

By now, most of you have probably realized as I ramble on that I have nada for Knitting Friday. Before I give you an “I.O.U.” and a promise to be better next week, here are a few random knitting items:

Item 1: I am finishing up my second top-down sleeveless pullover for my lesson at our Needlework Group. This one is in winter wool and I’ll demonstrate it as a vest.

Item 2: I’ve started my third T-D pullover for the class. I’m completely changing the pattern in this one. I’ll have a ribbed neck and long sleeves so it won’t be a straight knit run from the top to the bottom hem since I’ll have to pick up for the sleeves.

Item 3: I just have one sleeve left to do on my cotton gray cardi/shrug. I hate the yarn. Not only is it splitty, it’s slippery and it’s heavy. It’s Luxor D.K and I would recommend only using long double-pointed needles on the sleeves unless you want to do a lot of cursing - and ripping out.

Item 4: A knitting tip: At the end of Item 1, I was just about to start the hem when I noticed a very loose section of stockinette stitch about 4 rows back. There was no missed stitch at the area, just loose knitting apparently. Do I rip back? Nah. So I unraveled the offending stitch back to the problem and pulled it back up with a crochet hook. I still had the loose area. Crap! The solution: Unravel at least three stitches and then work then back up, distributing the looseness among the three stitches. It works.

That's it for today. Oh, did I mention this is a traveling day, the first in a long time?

Happy Knitting.

No comments: