Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

Apparently, my web server now allows you to custom design your web page. Before I start dabbling with all their options (yeah, about all four of them!) I think I'll play around with my banner. I'd like to be real creative like some other bloggers and make the banner into changeable quotes but I see myself sifting through public domain quotes all week if I start that.

My website pick this Wednesday didn't start out as my first choice. I came to it through Ravelry which cited it for a knitting reference. It's got a wild title:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Stuff White People Like - now there's an intriguing title. One you don't see every day.

Of course, it's satire but satire is very tricky and very difficult to keep up continually without it turning dry, bitter, and unfunny.

The blog's About from 2008 tells us: This is a scientific approach to highlight and explain stuff white people like. They are pretty predictable.

OK, but before you yawn, you have to read this from an interview with the blogger, Christian Lander, in A.V. Club.com in 2008:

In January, Christian Lander was just another wage slave at a California interactive ad agency. Then his blog, "Stuff White People Like," a tongue-in-cheek comprehensive list of everything left-wing, upper-middle-class Caucasians enjoy (from The Wire and McSweeney's to eating outside and self-importance) grew exponentially in popularity to the point that it amassed 20 million hits by the end of March and caught the eye of Random House.

20 million hits in 2008! 67 million hits currently! Isn't that all the white people in the world? I'm lucky if I can get my husband to read my blog!

I love reading good satire; probably due to my immersion in 16th -18th century essay writing during college. (Oh, to be young and carefree and reading Fielding and Swift!)

Obviously, this blog doesn't need my plug but for those of us living under a rock and discovering "White People" for the first time, go take a look. And remember folks, this is satire.

Enjoy.





No comments: