Friday, September 10, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Knitting Friday


I sort of have this guilty conscience because I've been remiss with posting Knitting Fridays - not that I haven't been knitting up a storm.

My feeble excuse is, as always, that I'm a lousy picture taker and my "good" picture taker has been very busy. However, I finally figured out a present for Christmas (which is rather lame coming from an atheist, but, hey, a grab for a gift is a grab for a gift, whatever your beliefs.) We have a friend who takes pictures at all our social events with a small Canon camera. It's the one where you can see your picture on a 3" x 5" screen because you snap the shot. She gets excellent pictures all the time and I've decided that I can do that - not get excellent pictures but use a 3" x 5" viewing screen so I shoot the people and not the sky. Therefore once I get this camera, the last trick I'll have to learn is how to upload the pictures to the computer.

But at this moment, I'm without pictures and just writing a mea culpa post.

I finished up my black lace shawl for the bar mitzvah and was just about to block it when I noticed an error half way back. Now, this is a simple pattern:

Row 1: Sl1P *YO, K2tog* K1
Row 2: Sl1P *YO, P2tog* K1
Row 3: Sl1P *K* K1
Row 4: Sl1P *P* K1

How simple can you get with lace? You don't even need a pattern for this if you mark the right side. (From the RS: if every other stitch on the needle is a YO - they look diagonal - your next row is Row 3. If from the RS, all stitches on the needle are even, the next row is Row 1. From the WS: just duplicate the row on the needle using either the Row 2 or Row 4 directions.) Simplicity itself, unless you get careless and work Row 1 & 2 again for Row 3 & 4. You get four rows of lace which is not that noticeable until you put the black shawl on a light surface. (If you goof with 4 rows of stockinette, you usually pick that up fast - that is noticeable, even with black.)

So I ripped the shawl back by half but I was smart enough this time to mark the last part of the yarn. Right now, I'm coming up to that marker so I know I'm about ready to bind off again.

I love Knit Picks lace and fingering. This one is in fingering and it's so airy but so warm. I'm hoping whatever the weather at the end of October, this will work.

My other big project is a top-down cardi/shrug in black cotton. This was the cotton I originally bought because I didn't have a black summer shawl. Well, this summer was just too hot to wear any shawl outside and stores seem to have realized that AC is very expensive so except for my clubhouse (we must be made of money) most inside places are not freezers this summer. I decided my small black cotton shawl would work fine and this yarn could be used for an open black cardigan, which I will use a lot more.

I wish I had a "hot" pattern for linking but nothing has inspired me lately. I am taking some of that crazy fun yarn which Dollar Tree was selling a few years ago, and which I bought of copiously, and making a top down pullover.

And I promise at least one knitting picture next week.

Happy knitting.



No comments: